Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here with ?'s

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi everyone! I have a 3 month old baby girl and have been breastfeeding her since birth.  Well, mostly.  I feed really bad, but when I went to NY to see my inlaws for the holidays I started to supplement when we went to a wedding and then continued to supplement since I had it already.  I really regret it because now my supply has gone down a LOT.  I have managed to get it back up from 1/4 ounce on the Left to 1/2 ounce on the right.  But I am still not to where I would like to be.  I have tried fenugreek and an herbal tincture for lactation.  My lactation consultant wants me to try domperidone.  I agreed, but I was wondering if any of you have tried this and what side effects you had and whether or not it worked?  It's $90 so I hope it works!!! I want to be able to have a pretty large supply for if I need to supplement again!  I have been trying to pump and do the power pumping daily also.

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Good luck!
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Is pumping all you are basing your supply on?   Is baby still getting supplements, and how much per day?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
mommymackalex
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM

No, I have to supplement every day.  It's finally gone from 3-4 4 oz bottles a day to 1-2 4 ounce bottles a day.  But I really want to stop supplementing formula.  Everytime I pump I wind up giving it to her because then she doesn't have enough milk to eat from me and is screaming that she wants to eat... :-( 

Mommy 2 Kenzie and Lexi
TTC2Long
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok, there are potentially several issues in play here: 3 months is growth spurt time, 4oz is a LOT for her age and her tummy is probably stretched and she may have developed nipple preference. I would take the next few days and just camp out in bed or on the couch with her, putting her to breast. I would go all out, ditch the supplements 100% and give her boob, boob, boob. She probably won't be happy about it, but she will eat when she gets hungry. You MAY want to wean off the formula and cut out 2 of those bottles a day for a few days, then the other 2. That's up to you, but it will take longer for your supply to increase again.

Count dipes. She needs 6-8 wet/dirty. 3tbs of liquid is a wet dipe. Go measure 3tbs into a dry dipe and see how heavy that feels. Saturated and poopy dipes count as 2. You may see a dip for a day or two but look for it to come back up as your supply meets the constant demand its going to get. GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)