Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mini pill bs regular bc?? FYI added

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM
  • 13 Replies
My dr said I could do either while bf'ing. He says a new study came out saying there is no effects of reg bc on milk. What are y'all doing?? Any recommendations/suggestions?

FYI- dh is scheduled for vasectomy 5/2. So this is temporary bc..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silka08
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Bc for so long they ?ed use of estrogen n its affect on supply *i* personally wouldnt take. I also opted not to take mini, I was uncomfortable with any hoemone while nursing.

Bump...hope someone has more helpfuk info, mines just personal preference
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom328
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Um. . estrogen (regular bc pill) dries up the majority of moms that use it.  I'd be curious to see this "new study".  mini pill or non hormone based are basically your only options.

ConnorMom228
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM
I was given the regular pill at my 6 wk check up. Loestrin. And..... 2 days later I had NO SUPPLY! So I promptly quit that. I would go with te mini pill.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofNikki2010
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM
I wouldn't take either personally but estrogen dries up supply and passes through milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittanyx22
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:22 PM
I have the mini pill but I dont take it. id rather not take anything while BFing.
MonicaV1982
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd wonder how many times that study was repeated, who funded it, how many people were a part of the study, and whether it was a double-blind control. I'd stick with non-hormonal options like Paragard or barrier methods, or Progesterone only BC like the minipill or the mirena. If going with Progesterone only BC start with the minipill, that way you can stop them if your supply lowers. :)

MedicturnedMama
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM
I use the mini pill. No problems with Bing and no pregnancies. Works for me.
mama02040608
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Personally, I'd go with the minipill or IUD. The study may say it is ok, but there are plenty of confounding factors, like were the women ebf, did they have massive oversupply, etc. It seems too risky to me, personally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM
I used the mini pill after my first. It was great the first 8-12 months, then it started affecting me, I was having crazy mood swings, not feeling right, I stopped the mini pill and within a week or two felt normal again. Then I got pregnant lol. After Anah we weighed our options and opted for Paragard iud. No hormones to mess me up, and just as effective as a pill, with the added bonus of being good for up to ten years. And I don't have to worry about forgetting to take a pill and having a little surprise- at this point I could literally forget my head if it were not attached.
sofia0587
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM
My doctor only gave me two choices mini pill or mirena. I chose mirena cuz hell if I will remember to take a pill everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)