Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How DO you do that?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM
  • 8 Replies

I would like to start putting my 20 mo old DD down for naps & bedtime without nursing her to sleep. I don't mind nursing before I lay her down & I don't mind middle of the night nursing sessions. We cosleep, so I don't have to wake up for them. But in order to simplify our bedtime routine, I'd like to eventually be able to lay her down & have her fall asleep on her own with minimal crying/tears. Not looking for overnight solutions. I know it takes time & patience but I need suggestions & advice from other moms who breastfeed into toddlerhood. (No CIO please.)

Thanks in advance ladies!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
silka08
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM
I started with bedtime when hubs was home. id nurse then hubs would do book and pat back or some type soothing. This way nursing was associated with slowing down but not necessarily sleep. Once bed was down switched to naps. Id stop nursing before fell asleep then offered alternative comfort.

Nursing to sleep isnt bad or wrong, its only a problem if its a problem fir you. So if it works n ur happy no.need change. But if want change, slow transition to new routine usually helps
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:21 PM
I nurse my dd to sleep, nighttime and naps, in my bed. If my dh is home he CAN get baby to sleep without me. But with my other 3, they completely dropped naps when I weaned: at 15 months and two at 24 months. My dd is 30 months, still nursing and still napping! I usually can't escape her when I nurse her down for a nap, so my house looks like, well, like I've got at least 4 kids. But it's the only down time I get. They'll all be gone before I know it and I can clean my quiet, lonely house all day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM

hmmm my son is the same age and i just put him down to sleep around 7:30 and he either plays for a while or just goes to sleep but i bottle fed with donor milk so i am not sure what to tell you :/

lifetimelove
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM
I use the sleep lady method once mine are toddlers. I still nurse at night. I just adapt her methods for my beliefs. I think it's far more gentle than most sleep training methods. The no cry solution is often recommended and a good method as well. It just never worked for me. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ammie25
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Quoting lifetimelove:

I use the sleep lady method once mine are toddlers. I still nurse at night. I just adapt her methods for my beliefs. I think it's far more gentle than most sleep training methods. The no cry solution is often recommended and a good method as well. It just never worked for me. =)

Interesting you should say that. I just got that book from the library & read the parts pertinent to DD. I will be starting the that the end of this week. :)

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I did nothing. HE did. Simply stopped. At about this age. I was practicing don't offer don't refuse.

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM

My little ones were all nursed to sleep, too.. such a short, precious time in life! 

Quoting mostlymaydays: I nurse my dd to sleep, nighttime and naps, in my bed. If my dh is home he CAN get baby to sleep without me. But with my other 3, they completely dropped naps when I weaned: at 15 months and two at 24 months. My dd is 30 months, still nursing and still napping! I usually can't escape her when I nurse her down for a nap, so my house looks like, well, like I've got at least 4 kids. But it's the only down time I get. They'll all be gone before I know it and I can clean my quiet, lonely house all day.

Char07
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 7:24 AM

My dd will fall asleep fine with dh without nursing but not with me (except for one very rare evening the other night) so if I want her to go to sleep without nursing I give her to him and sneak into another room for 30 min at bedtime, he will then read her stories and she will fall asleep with him. 

Anna is 20 mo too btw :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)