Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I need one?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM
  • 15 Replies

I'm 12 weeks pregnant and plan to breastfeed for the first time.  Do I really need a breast pump?  Why or why not?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JT32606_
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM
you dont if you are a stay at home mom, plan to exclusively BF and dont mind nursing in public or in a bathroom in public...kwim?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
murelzgirl
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I am a stay at home mom and do plan to EBF.  Thanks for your response.  I just don't want to spend a lot of money on a pump if I don't need it. 

megthompson920
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I'm a stay home mom and I ebf my youngest DD. I'm so happy that I have a pump, or breastfeeding wouldn't have worked out for us. She had serious latch issues and a tongue tie and jaundice. So for the first few days I had to pump and give it to her through a sns. With my oldest daughter we had all those same issues but no pump and she did not get breastfed. For me it made all the difference!

Diamondg4u2cme
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM

its up to you and how you plan to feed your baby. there is really no right or wrong way, its personal choice.

murelzgirl
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM

What is SNS?  Sorry, I'm still learning.  :)

Quoting megthompson920:

I'm a stay home mom and I ebf my youngest DD. I'm so happy that I have a pump, or breastfeeding wouldn't have worked out for us. She had serious latch issues and a tongue tie and jaundice. So for the first few days I had to pump and give it to her through a sns. With my oldest daughter we had all those same issues but no pump and she did not get breastfed. For me it made all the difference!

RozyMama
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:22 PM
You might want to have a manual pump on hand in case you ever need to leave him with a bottle, but it's not totally necessary. If you have major feeding issues you can rent a pump from the hospital until it's resolved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Mana-
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

You don't really need one. I'm a SAHM and I could get definitely along without mine. I pump enough so hubby and I can go out every now and then, but honestly I sort of wish I didn't have the pump so I would have an excuse to not go out. I love the time alone with my husband, but I hate leaving my baby... and at some point, we'll have tons of time alone together but the baby won't always be a baby x)

chillemi78
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM
It depends on if you ever plan on leaving baby. If you plan to go out occasionally, it might be good to have a single manual pump on hand. They are pretty cheap and good for occasional use.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RichMommy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM
I bought one and never used it. I'm sahm and I ebf
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RichMommy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM
I used a hand pump on occasion

Quoting chillemi78:

It depends on if you ever plan on leaving baby. If you plan to go out occasionally, it might be good to have a single manual pump on hand. They are pretty cheap and good for occasional use.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)