Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ready to stop

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM
  • 5 Replies
OK I need advice my is 15months and I'm 14weeks pregnant my daughter really don't nurse and more except for when she goes to sleep so I'm ready to wean her plus it's like she just using me to suck on because my milk is drying up but my big problem is I choose to let her sleep with me and know regretting it because I will nurse her in my bed and she will fall asleep but it seems like as so as I pull her off me she wakes up crying and won't go back to sleep till she nursed and I have tried to give her a sippy in the crib but she crys and even if i do get her asleep and put her in the crib she eaither wakes up when i do it or wakes up a hour later cry and wont go back to sleep unless i nurse her so idk what to do please help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
crystalplus1
by Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Try patting her bottom when she wakes up? Thats what ive started doing with my son.....and if thats not working pick her up and rock her and when she calms down and relaxes put her in the crib and pat her butt.....

Gailll
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:10 PM

It is very normal for toddlers to nurse to sleep and to want to sleep with mom. I've heard Dr. William Sears (author of many books about breastfeeding and children including one on sleep) speak at conferences and he says that if you wait until you see the child is in rapid eye movement sleep that is the time you can remove them from the breast and you may be able to put them in the crib without the baby waking. Dr. Sears has a web site and has info there that you might find helpful.

Weaning probably wouldn't help because then you wouldn't be able to ever nurse her to sleep. You could be up late nights. My grandson has been weaned for about 9 months and he still has problems getting to sleep without nursing. Sometimes one of us is up with him until midnight or later. If he does fall asleep earlier he might wake up around 2 and since he can't nurse to fall back asleep he has problems falling back asleep. It was so much easier when he was nursing.

Daynaof3
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 3:18 AM
1 mom liked this
You can either continue nursing and co-sleeping or you can wean her and discontinue co-sleeping to help aid the weaning and expect resistance. Dr. Jay Gordon has a wonderful article on gently moving baby/child out of the bed, it's titled "changing sleep patterns in the family bed", googling will bring it right up for you. Many moms(and many babies too) will decide to wean during pregnancy, the article I mentioned above helps tremendously with making the transition the most friendly one it can be. Also check out the kellymom article on night weaning for some great tips. Congrats on 15 months breastfeeding and you're impending arrival! =D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Haileysmommy10
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leftylefty
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM

awww!! yah...sleeping with the baby in the bed is so sweet and just...warm and a time of bonding. but then once they get bigger and expect it it gets hard on us to break the habit. umm...like crystalplus1 said...patting...rubbing...maybe more time in her crib to get her used to it? any of the things you as mommy know relax her; try them. oh and try music? and...try not to feel bad when she fusses. at this point she either cries or stays in your bed (which make it harder the bigger she gets) good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)