Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FYI Breastfeeding While Pregnant is NOT Dangerous!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

I'm so tired of hearing people say you should stop breastfeeding before/when you get pregnant because it could cause preterm labor. Just one more outdated myth that keeps little ones from getting extended nutrition!

I nursed my first all through my second pregnancy. They are now 2 1/2 and 7-months-old, and both going strong. My mother had four children and overlapped nursing all of us. 

Yes, nipple stimulation releases oxytocin into the bloodstream, but so does sex! The amount is not enough to cause preterm labor. Some Dr.'s advise women to quit breastfeeding during pregnancy if they have a history of preterm labor, but that is just a precaution--no link has been found between breastfeeding and preterm labor.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I'm just irritated by how many women think this isn't safe--and how many doctors still tell women to stop breastfeeding when they get pregnant!

End of rant.

Links, if you're interested:

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/breastfeeding/special-situations/breastfeeding-while-pregnant

http://bmsg.tripod.com/pregnurse.htm

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilou
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM
I don't know. My friend has stop because her doctor told her that it might be related to miscarriage and said eight of his patients lost their baby in early pregnancy while bf. That makes you think twice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 3:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Women have early losses without breastfeeding also. Having an orgasm triggers the release of oxytocin as well so did the doctor tell her no big o's? Doubt it, doctors will say whatever they feel they need to to get women to do what they say or not look stupid when questioned. I would advise your friend to do her own research and/or ask the doctor to site valid medical studies backing this information up. In a court of law he would be told that his evidence was inadmissable and call it "hearsay". =)

Quoting lilou:

I don't know. My friend has stop because her doctor told her that it might be related to miscarriage and said eight of his patients lost their baby in early pregnancy while bf. That makes you think twice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 6:30 AM
1 mom liked this

If a woman has a HISTORY of early miscarriage (three or more), it's often wise to discontinue nursing.  If she has problems controlling her blood sugar, it can be advisable.  I'm sure there are other valid reasons to wean, as well.  But I do not believe that, as a general rule, a pregnant woman should be advised to wean an older child.

TwinmomAlicia
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:29 AM
They didn't word it quite that way, but I was put on "pelvic rest" during both of my pregnancies. They were high risk, though. I'm sure with a normal pregnancy there is no issue.

Quoting Daynaof3:

Women have early losses without breastfeeding also. Having an orgasm triggers the release of oxytocin as well so did the doctor tell her no big o's? Doubt it, doctors will say whatever they feel they need to to get women to do what they say or not look stupid when questioned. I would advise your friend to do her own research and/or ask the doctor to site valid medical studies backing this information up. In a court of law he would be told that his evidence was inadmissable and call it "hearsay". =)

Quoting lilou:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Here's another url(can't make it clickable because I am mobile sorry):

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/01safety.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Adelicious
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Great article!!! Here it clickable:

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/01safety.html

YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
My midwife encouraged me to nurse my toddler through pregnancy. One midwife I know tandemed for awhile. And I agree, unless it is a high risk pregnancy nursing is fine :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hecate9
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I've nursed while pregnant twice, until about 8 months each time. No problems, but I also didn't have issues in any previous pregnancies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I would like to see a study of women who did wean and the outcomes. Weaning doesn't necessarily secure you an uneventful pregnancy, if I were to wean and lose the baby anyway I would feel doubly awful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Adelicious
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Good point. They say women with history of miscarriage or preterm labor are encouraged to stop breastfeeding, just in case, but not because there is a proved link. So it would be interesting to see a study of these high-risk women and what the difference is between those who wean and those who don't.

Quoting Daynaof3:

I would like to see a study of women who did wean and the outcomes. Weaning doesn't necessarily secure you an uneventful pregnancy, if I were to wean and lose the baby anyway I would feel doubly awful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)