Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NEWBIE!!! Need advice!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hello!!! 

I am a first time mom - well, soon to be... and have sooo many questions!

I am bombarded with information about babies all the time but wonder, WHAT ABOUT ME? in terms of breastfeeding.

I have decided I would like to try to exclusivly breasfeed for as long as possible and want to be ready when baby comes. 

What do I need to buy? What is the best nursing bra ( IYO ) ? How many nursing pads will I need? ( What are nursing pads for??? ) 

What other things will I need? What do I need to take to the hospital in terms of breastfeeding? 

ANy other useful tips? 

My pregnancy brain makes it hard to read and understand articles about breastfeeding so I figured this would be a good pplace to get real opinions from real women! 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:30 PM
Buy some nipple cream.

I liked using a boppy pillow when DS was little - some people like them, some people don't like nursing pillows.

I have 1 nursing bra that I never wear. I wear a nursing tank top (they have them at target or walmart) under my shirt as my 'bra'. I have like 6 of them.

Nursing pads are for when you leak. Some use them, some don't. I used reusable ones for about 2 months after DS was born (when I needed them - sometimes I didn't need them)

Welcome & congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashley0709
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM
I asked this group, some time ago, what advice they would give first time breastfeeders. I'll bumb up that post just so you can read what they said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM
The best bra is the one that fits you the best. Everyone's body is different, so it really is an individual thing. For the first few weeks, I liked Walmart's sports nursing bras. Very comfy.

Nursing pads catch the leaks when you let down. You need quite a few at first.

Bring bras and your boobs to the hospital:) Perhaps also some lanolin or other nipple ointment. That's about it.

Good luck! The best advice I have is to spend as much time with baby as possible. The more separation, more likely you will have problem. Get hands on help if you need it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashley0709
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Its subject line is ALL opinions.wanted!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Koux
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM
The "shopping list" for breast feeding moms is pretty small. :) here are my suggestions:

--Burp rags (depending on your baby- some spit up, some don't)
--At least 1 nursing bra (or sports bra, one that you can easily pull up or down)
--Nursing pads - I would start with a box of the disposable kind, you may want to try out different kinds to see what you like. You'll need them in the early weeks/months because you'll probably be leaking between feedings.
--Nursing cover or blanket, if you want to use one. A lot of women just use layers and no cover (pull undershirt down, pull over shirt up, attach baby). Whatever you're comfortable with.
--Nipple cream (pure lanolin, Lansinoh is a great brand)- i never used it, just put breastmilk on the nipples and let them dry after a feeding and i never needed it. It can really help if you get dry or irritated/cracked nipples though.
--Breast pump- if you're planning on returning to work soon after having baby.

I feel I should add, ALL of these things are totally optional. All you really NEED to breastfeed is a boob and a baby. You already have all the equipment you need. Everything else is just for convenience and is completely up to you. The big ones I would bring to the hospital are a nursing bra and nursing pads (just a few, you may not need them until your milk comes in). The hospital should give you blankets and burp rags. Good luck, this is a great place to come for "real mom advice". :) we're here to help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
potgieter
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Thanks!!! 

How is it going btw?? with the bfding?

Quoting Ashley0709:

CafeMom Tickers
potgieter
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Thats a good list!! Tx!!!

Quoting Koux:

The "shopping list" for breast feeding moms is pretty small. :) here are my suggestions:

--Burp rags (depending on your baby- some spit up, some don't)
--At least 1 nursing bra (or sports bra, one that you can easily pull up or down)
--Nursing pads - I would start with a box of the disposable kind, you may want to try out different kinds to see what you like. You'll need them in the early weeks/months because you'll probably be leaking between feedings.
--Nursing cover or blanket, if you want to use one. A lot of women just use layers and no cover (pull undershirt down, pull over shirt up, attach baby). Whatever you're comfortable with.
--Nipple cream (pure lanolin, Lansinoh is a great brand)- i never used it, just put breastmilk on the nipples and let them dry after a feeding and i never needed it. It can really help if you get dry or irritated/cracked nipples though.
--Breast pump- if you're planning on returning to work soon after having baby.

I feel I should add, ALL of these things are totally optional. All you really NEED to breastfeed is a boob and a baby. You already have all the equipment you need. Everything else is just for convenience and is completely up to you. The big ones I would bring to the hospital are a nursing bra and nursing pads (just a few, you may not need them until your milk comes in). The hospital should give you blankets and burp rags. Good luck, this is a great place to come for "real mom advice". :) we're here to help!

CafeMom Tickers
Ashley0709
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Great! My dd just weaned herself a couple weeks ago at 14 1\2 months and I am due any day with ds2.

Quoting potgieter:

Thanks!!! 

How is it going btw?? with the bfding?

Quoting Ashley0709:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:38 PM

What you NEED, you have: Breasts. 

What's good to have:

Lanolin

Sling

Copy of "So That's What They're For"

Everything else? Depends on your siutation. Burp rags and towels in ANY event... babies are messy.

SevysMomma
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM

I don't know much about nursing bras, I wore normal ones throughout. 

Nursing pads. Must have. They are to stop you from soaking through 5 layers of clothing haha. Which probably will happen, did to me all the time. But they are lifesavers. 

Lanolin is a good idea, for first time sore nipples.

Bring a boppy pillow or something similar with you, to help with breastfeeding while you are there. You won't really need to take anything else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)