Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Needing Some Advice (long)

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM
  • 8 Replies

I had my ds 7 weeks early. I was determinded to breastfeed. I pumped not even a hour after he was born via c section and I have been puming ever since. I am so sick of pumping that I could scream. My goal is to exclusivley breastfeed. We were in the NICU for 3 1/2 weeks. They would only let me breastfeed him 3 times a day for a maxium of 20 minutes at a time. Otherwise he was getting a bottle or being tube fed up until the last 2 days he was there then it was just breast and bottle. I really hate the idea of bottles. Now that we are home they still only want me nursing him 3 times a day and offering a bottle after words to "top him off" and then I pump. All bottles that he gets have my breast milk however I am fortifing it with enfamil premiee according to the NICU. They expect me to do all his feedings within 45 minutes. And he is suppose to eat 450 mls a day. I am having a hard time pumping that much I just want to breast feed him all the time. I guess what I am asking is what would you do? Would you continue with the way the NICU wants or would you just breast feed? When I breast feed he is always hungry after. He usually nurses 15 minutes on each side. How long do your babies nurse? Just really needing some reasurance here cause I am just exhausted cause feedings usual take me 2 hours to complete with diaper change, breastfeed, bottle and then pumping its a long process. Any advice ladies?

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:36 PM
I have no experience with NICU babies.

If it is all your milk, I would start to decrease the supplements. And unless there is a medical reason (like weight gain of less than 4 oz per week for a full term baby), then I'd ditch the formula fortifier.

I have a feeling others will tell you to ditch the bottles completely.

Are you timing the nursings or is baby unlatching himself? Wait until he unlatches When DS was little, he could nurse & nap for 40 minutes on one side, then switch & repeat. But he had a tongue tie. Most babies are attached to the boob almost 24/7 for like 6 weeks.

Awesome job pumping so much so far!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM
If you are home, do what you want with your child. Watch diapers and weights. If you get a minimum of 6 diapers a day, you're giving enough. If you're not getting enough diapers, supplement just to diaper count, preferably not with a bottle. I would maintain pumping at least once a day so that you maintain a response to the pump and you have milk if you need to supplement. You can do it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM
And wow! That's almost 80oz that they want you to stuff baby with in a day? Good god! Far far too much, your milk, given the chance, will contain all baby needs. Just nurse on demand, expect fussiness because of the overstuffing as his stomach adapts from too much to just right!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silka08
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Id suggest an appt with an ibclc and get a plan set up togethrr. Once have that schedule two weight checks with pedi a week a part and get a better pic of whats goin on
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Quoting brittany.m.hall:

I had my ds 7 weeks early. I was determinded to breastfeed. I pumped not even a hour after he was born via c section and I have been puming ever since. I am so sick of pumping that I could scream.

Don't blame you.

My goal is to exclusivley breastfeed. We were in the NICU for 3 1/2 weeks. They would only let me breastfeed him 3 times a day for a maxium of 20 minutes at a time. Otherwise he was getting a bottle or being tube fed up until the last 2 days he was there then it was just breast and bottle. I really hate the idea of bottles. Now that we are home they still only want me nursing him 3 times a day and offering a bottle after words to "top him off" and then I pump. All bottles that he gets have my breast milk however I am fortifing it with enfamil premiee according to the NICU. They expect me to do all his feedings within 45 minutes. And he is suppose to eat 450 mls a day. I am having a hard time pumping that much I just want to breast feed him all the time. I guess what I am asking is what would you do? Would you continue with the way the NICU wants or would you just breast feed?

I would get in bed with him and just nurse and do nothing else, unless there is some outstanding health issue they're concerned about.

When I breast feed he is always hungry after. He usually nurses 15 minutes on each side. How long do your babies nurse? Just really needing some reasurance here cause I am just exhausted cause feedings usual take me 2 hours to complete with diaper change, breastfeed, bottle and then pumping its a long process. Any advice ladies?

Is the 15 minutes baby's timing or yours? Because if its yours, smash the clock. Breast one till baby comes off on his own. Burp, follow with breast two. Burp, repeat as needed.

larissalarie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:11 PM
I would just nurse the baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany.m.hall
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM

ok thank u ladies

comf
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Honestly if the only issue he has is that he came early, I would just nurse. Count the diapers, 6 a day to make sure he gets enough. You may want to slowly drop all the bottle feedings or drop them cold turkey. Whatever you are more comfortable with

Your milk is adjusted to his needs, so the fortifier is not needed. There is info to back this up if you want, quote me and I will get on my laptop to post it tomorrow .

Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)