• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reflux

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM
  • 26 Replies
Help! My son 3 weeks old has mild reflux. Any advice to help keep him comfortable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:37 PM

was it diagnosed or does he just spit up often?

sktrowb
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Diagnosed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ty355172
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Sleep on an incline. Burp well. Do not overfeed. Keep upright as long as possible after feeding:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sktrowb
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM
He spits up often, especially if he is laid down completely, seems to have an upset belly most of the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sktrowb
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM
He is Breastfeed. How do I not over feed( I think that's a big problem with it)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LandonsMom1114
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM

My friend just called me and told me that her baby has reflux and the dr put him on formula! I am so angry about it right now! I mean, its her baby and her choice but there is no reason to switch to formula, that is even worse on the babys belly. :(

sreichelt26
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM
You cannot overfeed if he eats from your breast. Burp him, nurse him propped up, and get him adjusted by a chiropractor.

Quoting sktrowb:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM
2 moms liked this
First of all, how was it diagnosed, with a scope? Is he being medicated? I hope not, at least not this early.

Is it bothering him at all, or is he just sitting up frequently? Most babies spit-up, it's normal. If he's having plenty of diapers and is reasonably happy (newborn were normally fairly fussy), it really isn't a problem.

If it is a greater than normal problem, the cause is usually an overactive letdown & oversupply. These can be remedied by block feeding (all feeds off one side for a set time, then switch) and laid back nursing (mom reclines and baby's mouth is over the breast, gravity let's the excess fall out)

If those measures are done and the reflux is still causing problems, then you look at dairy intolerance. (followed by soy) Dairy takes a solid month to clear both your systems (and that's if you aren't missing hidden dairy in most processed foods), and it's usually not the problem, it's usually the first thing, so I recommend nursing management before an elimination diet.

If you take care of all of that and your baby is still not thriving due to reflux, only then would I explore medication.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom328
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Reflux is often a misdiagnosis.  Usually mom really have an overactive letdown/oversupply.  The symptoms in baby are quite similar.

Quoting sktrowb:

He spits up often, especially if he is laid down completely, seems to have an upset belly most of the time.

larissalarie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:00 PM
It really does sound like you have oversupply then. Definitely start the block feeding I mentioned in my other reply

Quoting sktrowb:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)