Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No poop since yesterday?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM
  • 13 Replies
Ds pooped alot of the tarry newborn poop at the hospital but hasn't pooped at all since we've been home. He has been farting and peeing but no poop. How long before I should worry? My milk is in and he has been eating lots, his belly seems normal and he is content. I am used to new babies pooping constantly and he is making me nervous :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Did he get all the meconium out? Have you seen a normal bm poop yet (meaning its yellowish, maybe even a tint of green, and not sticky like meconium)?

norahsmommy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM
I haven't seen any of the yellowy bf poop yet.

Quoting Precious333:

Did he get all the meconium out? Have you seen a normal bm poop yet (meaning its yellowish, maybe even a tint of green, and not sticky like meconium)?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I wouldn't worry yet.Breastmilk is so easily digested. If his tummy isn't hard, if he's not uncomfortable and most of all if he's not yellow, I wouldn't be worried. If he is yellow, crawl in bed with hium and nurse like crazy.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I have never experienced this, so I'm looking for info for you.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM

OK, I was looking at some things about newborn stools on LLL and Dr. Sears and I think maybe baby is adjusting to the milk coming in. I wouldn't worry about it and just wait, especially since baby is happy :)

Congrats on your new baby!

mama02040608
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
If there is no poop tomorrow, I would look into baby's latch and just make sure that baby's getting as much milk as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM
My Ds has only pooped every 3 days sice birth if baby goes more than 2 days past normall then I would call the pedi.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Bf babies can go up to a wk w/o a poop and it's total normal. As long as baby does show signs of discomfort pr a hard tummy, the only thing u need to be worried about is the blow out when it finally happens!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SevysMomma
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM

It's totally normal for a bf baby to not poop, but I am not sure if his first one is important right off, so I am not of much help.

GoodyBrook
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:06 AM
Don't worry! My LO would go over a week without a poop. My Pedi (also an EBFing mama) said to only be concerned if an EBF baby goes 10 days without a bowel movement... DS is 10 months now, and he'll still only go every 3 or 4 days. (But when he does go, he goes about 3 times in one day!)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)