Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:58 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi everyone! I have a 4 month old son who never was able to latch on so I'm constantly pumping for him and would LOVE to just breastfeed him! Any tips? I try to get him to and he won't even try now =( and I can't keep pumping 24/7. Any advice would be great thanks!!

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Paradys
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Have u had him checked for tongue tie? You could get a nipple shield until you can get in to the dr. They the shields at most stores now I think
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SevysMomma
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

There are two ways you could go about this (maybe more?) however, fairly simple. You could just stop pumping and offer it, alot, do not allow him bottles. He might always prefer a bottle (they're easier) so getting rid of them all quick will help. You could also get a nipple shield and use it until he gets the hang of the breast, then wean him off it. Those worked for my son, I had to teach him how to breastfeed at 2 months old, it was a bumpy transition but it worked out fine, and he breastfed from then on.

Good luck :)

FionasMommie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM

This is a tough one, but certainly not impossible!Please see a post that I made below for my friend whose daughter was in the NICU for some time. There is lots of helpful info about how to baby back to breast. Good luck!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/15736460/Getting_baby_to_latch_after_2_weeks_of_bottle_feeding_in_NICU

CafeMom Tickers
FionasMommie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM

It's not a good idea to throw out the bottles just yet. Many babies who won't nurse can't nurse, and you need to make sure you feed your baby. Kellymom has some great info on this subject as well. The article is too long to copy and paste, so here's the link to it: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html

Quoting SevysMomma:

There are two ways you could go about this (maybe more?) however, fairly simple. You could just stop pumping and offer it, alot, do not allow him bottles. He might always prefer a bottle (they're easier) so getting rid of them all quick will help. You could also get a nipple shield and use it until he gets the hang of the breast, then wean him off it. Those worked for my son, I had to teach him how to breastfeed at 2 months old, it was a bumpy transition but it worked out fine, and he breastfed from then on.

Good luck :)

CafeMom Tickers
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 9, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Fionasmommie posted a greast article for you. It will not be easy to get baby back to the breast. It CAN be done, though.

Daynaof3
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:53 AM
I would try rebirthing, take baby into the bath with you and keep them on your chest. If not anything else it's great bonding time! Older babies sometimes do better with chest to chest time when they have a onesie still on, you can do direct skin to skin and see how things go first and if not so well try with the onesie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tessygirl86
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 9:53 PM

i will definately give those tips a shot..thank you guys!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)