Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newborn feeding for 5 minutes then falling asleep...

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM
  • 15 Replies

Getting a little stressed over this. My milk is coming in and she seems to be drinkking less and less. Though the diapers seem to be coming along ok. She poops a lot and has peed really good in the diapers, but I am kinda worried I am starting bad habits or something.

I had a c-section on thursay, and she was born at 1pm. I came home yesterday (saturday) and she seems to be adjusting ok, but for the last couple of times she has eaten it has only been for like 5 minutes at a time. She falls alseep at the breast and I can't for the life of me get her to wake up. So I lay her down and within an hour and up to two she will start acting like she is hungry and she will do the same thing again. She falls alseep everytime. I have no idea apparently and would really like some advice. I breastfed my first for 2-3 weeks, but I quit becuase I was having post partum depression issues. Hopefully I won't with this one, but I am already worried and upset....

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Koosh
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM

when my daughter was a newborn she would sleep alot and fall asleep eating i would undress her and have skin to skin contact and/or change her diaper to wake her up.  Usually changing her diaper would wake her up but if that didnt help i would just keep trying to tickle her or something.  Most of time she woke up though. 

Christina807
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM
As long as she's giving you enough wet diapers I wouldn't worry about it too much. The first month it seemed like all my daughter did was sleep, so that sounds pretty normal to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambertink
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM
Have you tried feeding skin to skin? Baby in just a diaper w you feeding bare chested? Sometimes a cool cloth will upset and wake baby up. This is advice I've seen other moms give here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM
Ok, first of all, take a BIG breath. You are not starting bad habits. She has no ability to retain memories! Lol. So just take that pressure off your shoulders. Her diapers sound great so you know she's getting enough.

My ds was the same way. We called him the Manual Pump because dh and I had to sit and pump his arms and legs up and down to keep him awake enough to nurse. It was ridiculous. After probably 2 weeks it got better. Do your best to keep her awake. Undress her so she's not all snuggly and warm, tickle her cheeks, pump her arms, do what you need to to keep her awake longer. Maybe shoot for 10 minutes instead of 5. But know that the first few weeks consist of you in bed recovering from surgery and nursing your lo. Occasionally, eat, sleep and shower. That's it! :) Good luck, mama. The first few weeks are rough, but soon it will be as easy as breathing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:48 AM
Honestly, if there's no issue like gain problems or jaundice, I wouldn't worry about keeping her awake. Right now you likely have an oversupply and 5mins is all it takes to fill her tiny tummy. Her stomach is just about the size of a shooter marble, maybe a little bigger. As long as diapers are ok, you don't need to change a thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boshs1andonly
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 7:13 AM
dd tends to fall asleep so i tickle her cheek to wake her up. if that doesn't work i undress her like pp suggested. good luck, i know its hard not to second guess yourself but im sure you're doing fine...
CafeMom Tickers
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM
This! If her diapers are fine, she's getting enough milk.

Quoting mama02040608:

Honestly, if there's no issue like gain problems or jaundice, I wouldn't worry about keeping her awake. Right now you likely have an oversupply and 5mins is all it takes to fill her tiny tummy. Her stomach is just about the size of a shooter marble, maybe a little bigger. As long as diapers are ok, you don't need to change a thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:20 AM
I agree. Feed on demand, weather that's 5 minutes or 55.

Quoting mama02040608:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:22 AM

She is a newborn, sleep comes first and food is like a bonus. LOL

Try tracing your finger along her jawline. That stimulates sucking so even if she is sleeping she can still eat, even if it's only a few suckles.

As long as she is peeing fine, I wouldn't worry at all. She is getting enough and she will have no problem telling you when she is hungry.

maggiemom2000
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

When she starts to fall asleep, squeeze your breast to get the milk flowing. You should see her respond with increased sucking and swallowing. Nice deep pauses between sucks is when she is letting her mouth fill with milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)