Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Make Your Own Challenge - Day 1: Balancing Act

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM
  • 174 Replies

Nurslings can require a lot of attention, and a mom may sometimes worry she's not giving older siblings or SO enough of her time.

In the replies below, share YOUR favorite ways to let loved ones know they're special when you can't give them as much of yourself as you might like.

Your suggestions can help other moms who might be feeling frustrated - or even guilty - trying to balance the needs of their nursling with the needs of the family.

juggling

Thanks for helping to Make Your Own Challenge!  Remember, we'll be taking some of your responses and turning them into daily activities aimed at helping nursing moms feel cared for!

by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
huntersmama711
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Even if it means staying up later or getting up earlier I make sure to spend time with df, whether it be drinking coffee or watching espn and holding hands.
MamaBear2cubs
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:56 PM

When my daughter was little I would spend time one on one with my son during her naps.We also took frequent trips to the store just me and him with Brylee staying home with Dad. My So and I never really had any issues with making time around the kids. We just made time when they were asleep.

kcangel63
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I make sure my other children know that I love them!  Not only do I make sure to spend alone time with each child, we do many things together as a family.  I also let them help hold the baby, even when nursing.  I'll pump milk, and let them help feed baby, so that they can feel special by helping out.  I'll have them help change and pick out the cloth diaper to put on baby.  They always love to be able to "help" with baby, no matter how big or small the helping is.

Mrs.Morgan
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM

when I am nursing my older kids know that the baby is eating and if I can do something for them while I am feeding the littlest one then I will if not then they know to wait till I am done or can get a break they understand that the baby is very needy and they help me with her a lot.

becky1109
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Watching a movie with them or just yelling them i love you

MedievalMama
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM

This might sound silly, but I'm worried about giving my dog enough attention. I talked to a couple moms and they suggested including DH on little things like burping baby between breasts and that would help all 3 of us bond better, but I'm worried about what to do with my little dog who is constantly by my side.

Charizma77
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
When I am not nursing my baby I make sure to spend time cuddling with each of my older kids. I also set time aside to play with them and help them with their homework. We don't have a set time because I nurse on demand but I make sure my older kids know that they are still a priority and they will have some one on me time with mommy. Many times while I am on the couch nursing my baby my other 2 will come over and snuggle beside us. I can still read to them and talk to them and sometimes my first graders will read to me. We are a close knit family and not much has changed since having the baby, just one more person to love!
pochaccotx
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:00 PM

one on one video game time with dd and signing her up to play soccer which she has been dying to do

ShirreeM
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
When I am nursing the baby, my 2 years old know it's reading time. He will grab a book and come sit next to me and I will read him a story. Also, when the baby naps that is special time with the toddler :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:03 PM
When ever our nursling goes to bed (8 pm) DH and I watch about an hour of tv together, snuggling and ten we end up showering together. That way we get so alone time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)