Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

this is getting rediculous

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM
  • 9 Replies
Im getting so tired of the oal and the oversupply and the engorgement if I just miss one feeding. The block feeding ain't working once I think I get it under control bam it hits me ten times worse. Why am I producing so much milk..I know I shouldn't be complaining cuz some moms can hardly make any but having to much still makes bfing difficult. Any other suggestions
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:44 PM
You might need to extend your blocks longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM

How long have you been block feeding? How long are your blocks?

Here is another way to go that you can try from http://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html

If you have very enthusiastic breasts and the strategy of feeding on only one side for extended periods is not taming them yet, you may need to try a more extreme structured approach that initially does include some pumping. Start by pumping both sides thoroughly so that your breasts are fairly soft about an hour before a feeding. Then feed on one breast for several feedings until that breast is completely soft and comfortable and the other breast starts to feel unbearably full. When you feel unbearably full, switch sides and feed on the second breast until the first breast starts to feel unbearably full. It may be necessary to pump both sides a second time during the day, both for comfort and to ward off plugged ducts. For the next several days, continue to feed on one breast until the other one feels overfull. This will result in keeping baby to one side for several hours before switching to the other side. As your body is allowed to get the "overfull" message, it will respond by slowing the rate of milk production, and pumping should gradually become unnecessary.

lifetimelove
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM
This is what I had to do. It helped a LOT.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Here is another way to go that you can try from http://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html

If you have very enthusiastic breasts and the strategy of feeding on only one side for extended periods is not taming them yet, you may need to try a more extreme structured approach that initially does include some pumping. Start by pumping both sides thoroughly so that your breasts are fairly soft about an hour before a feeding. Then feed on one breast for several feedings until that breast is completely soft and comfortable and the other breast starts to feel unbearably full. When you feel unbearably full, switch sides and feed on the second breast until the first breast starts to feel unbearably full. It may be necessary to pump both sides a second time during the day, both for comfort and to ward off plugged ducts. For the next several days, continue to feed on one breast until the other one feels overfull. This will result in keeping baby to one side for several hours before switching to the other side. As your body is allowed to get the "overfull" message, it will respond by slowing the rate of milk production, and pumping should gradually become unnecessary.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candycrz
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:01 PM
My blocks have been for 4 hours

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:03 PM
I had to do 12 hour blocks. Four hours usually isn't enough for someone with serious oversupply. I have a daytime boob and a nighttime boob. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Oh ya - 4 hour blocks aren't enough. Do 8 or 12 hour blocks and you should see some improvement. And don't expect a quick change. It might take a couple weeks, but it'll happen eventually.

DON'T pump. At all. Hand express a little in the morning and right before bed just to relieve pressure, and only if it's bad. I'd squeeze and count to three.

candycrz
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM
So basically one during the day then switch at bedtime but he don't really eat at night

Quoting lifetimelove:

I had to do 12 hour blocks. Four hours usually isn't enough for someone with serious oversupply. I have a daytime boob and a nighttime boob. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ckroch
by Colleen on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:12 PM
I agree, 4 hour blocks are not long enough..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM
I agree 4 hour blocks are nothing for taming serious oversupply. I would go with 12, personally. Have a daytime breast and a nighttime breast.

Quoting sreichelt26:

Oh ya - 4 hour blocks aren't enough. Do 8 or 12 hour blocks and you should see some improvement. And don't expect a quick change. It might take a couple weeks, but it'll happen eventually.

DON'T pump. At all. Hand express a little in the morning and right before bed just to relieve pressure, and only if it's bad. I'd squeeze and count to three.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)