Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Milk sensitivity?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM
  • 15 Replies
Hi ladies! My baby girl is 7 weeks old and is the crankiest and gassiest baby I've seen. She also spits up probably 15ml after each feeding. I've been reading up on what I could be eating to cause this.
I have noticed that when I eat pizza she is even worse so I've cut that out of my diet but now I'm thinking she may be reacting to me drinking milk. Has anyone dealt with this?
The last two days ive steered clear of dairy and she does seem slightly better...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Dairy sensitivity is very common, quite possibly the most common issue with newborns. You've taken the right tack.

Rainray2
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Thanks. Does this mean I won't be able to drink/eat diary products for our entire breastfeeding time or should I try and reintroduce them at some point?

Quoting gdiamante:

Dairy sensitivity is very common, quite possibly the most common issue with newborns. You've taken the right tack.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Give it a few months, then you can try to re introduce the dairy to your diet. Keep a close eye for any possible reactions when you do.
larissalarie
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM
It could certainly be dairy. I've been avoiding dairy for over 3 years now! The only thing is that those proteins (what the baby is actually allergic to) are in waaayyyyy more than just obvious sources, so you are likely still consuming plenty, and it takes at least 2 weeks for it to clear out of your system. Because it hangs out in you for so long, it's usually much harder than cutting out out for a day and baby feels better. But if you found something that helps, stick with it :-)
Is there a possibility you have OAL or oversupply? This is the most common thing to cause gas & excessive spit up. Also, as long as baby is still having plenty of diapers, gaining weight, and isn't generally unhappy (not more than a normal newborn, lol) spiting up a lot isn't a problem.
Good luck mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Could be the dairy! Just FYI - dairy is in everything (casein & whey are hidden dairy).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rainray2
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM
She is a very cranky baby, burps and farts constantly.
I was hoping it wasn't milk as I love eating cereal. She also seems more gassy when I eat Mexican food (which is my favorite). I'm going to see what happens the next few weeks.
This breastfeeding experience has been so difficult so far! With DS I had initial issues but by this point it was smooth sailing...

Quoting larissalarie:

It could certainly be dairy. I've been avoiding dairy for over 3 years now! The only thing is that those proteins (what the baby is actually allergic to) are in waaayyyyy more than just obvious sources, so you are likely still consuming plenty, and it takes at least 2 weeks for it to clear out of your system. Because it hangs out in you for so long, it's usually much harder than cutting out out for a day and baby feels better. But if you found something that helps, stick with it :-)
Is there a possibility you have OAL or oversupply? This is the most common thing to cause gas & excessive spit up. Also, as long as baby is still having plenty of diapers, gaining weight, and isn't generally unhappy (not more than a normal newborn, lol) spiting up a lot isn't a problem.
Good luck mama!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2myprince
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Quoting Rainray2:

Hi ladies! My baby girl is 7 weeks old and is the crankiest and gassiest baby I've seen. She also spits up probably 15ml after each feeding. I've been reading up on what I could be eating to cause this.
I have noticed that when I eat pizza she is even worse so I've cut that out of my diet but now I'm thinking she may be reacting to me drinking milk. Has anyone dealt with this?
The last two days ive steered clear of dairy and she does seem slightly better...

love love love this picture.

Rainray2
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM
I don't think I have oversupply issues, with my first I had under supply issues. What are the signs of OAL?

Quoting larissalarie:

Good luck mama!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:50 PM
Poor thing, if it's the milk protein, she will be a whole different (happy) baby in a few weeks once the protein clears your systems.

Try almond or coconut milk on your cereal :-)
Quoting Rainray2:

She is a very cranky baby, burps and farts constantly.

I was hoping it wasn't milk as I love eating cereal. She also seems more gassy when I eat Mexican food (which is my favorite). I'm going to see what happens the next few weeks.

This breastfeeding experience has been so difficult so far! With DS I had initial issues but by this point it was smooth sailing...

Quoting larissalarie:

Good luck mama!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 8:53 PM
If baby pulls off and gets a milk shower, if baby gulps & chokes trying to keep up with the flow.
Quoting Rainray2:

I don't think I have oversupply issues, with my first I had under supply issues. What are the signs of OAL?

Quoting larissalarie:

Good luck mama!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)