Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BLW is not for me! Is it for you?

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM
  • 68 Replies
There isn't advantages for me doing it except that I wouln't have to do puree.The SAME advantage of baby led weaning also apply to puree fed. The studies are only a "maybe" like maybe it would prevent obesity because babies eat at their own pace
and decide when they are done and what to eat. But the same can apply with puree fed baby. I never forced my babies to eat a certain food and even if I hold the spoon THEY are in total control of what and how much they eat. I have to say I'm scared to death about chocking. It's not because it didn't happen 99.9% of the time that it won't happen. I just started feeding my baby and I freak out just to see him gag lol so it's definatly not for us!
If you are doing BLW, what made you decide to do so and are you ever scared about choking? Does your baby cough or gag when eating?
Have you talk to your pedi about it? What do they say? (mine is totally against it but I don't think she really knows much on the subject).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RutterMama
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

My baby did BLW. She is the one who decided about it. I tried to feed her avocado, she hated it. I tried other purees, she hated them. Just wasn't having it. So I waited a bit longer and would offer agian. After that failed attempt, we discovered that she just wanted to feed herself, period. So she was primarily nursed for herfirst 10 months or so, and would be given some table food. Then she went to eating table food at every meal and nursed less and less. She weaned herself from the breast just a little before 13 months, eating all table food.

I didn't worry much about choking. She was always within my reach and in her chair when she was eating (and still is). I would give her bigger bites, so she could hold it and gnaw on it.

So yes, we did it and it worked beautifully.

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Never talked to the pedi about it..I discovered it by accident. I started with purees but my twin boys didn't care for purees. I started giving them just regular food, like bananas, avocados, mashed potatoes. One of my twin boys has dysphagia, so yes, I was concerned about choking. But, I was extra cautious with the food I gave him. 

mama02040608
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Well, I know I have been guilty in the past of "just getting that last little bit in". I really think the risk of overfeeding both from the bottle and spoon fed solids is real. Look at how obesity in America has risen since FF has become the norm. If I were to have another baby, full on BLW would be the way I would go. With my last, we did some purees, but pretty quickly moved on to real food. The choking thing never alarmed me. The gagging is protective, so if I saw gagging, I just watched a little more closely to see if he worked it out or not. I always went with small soft bits of food, though, not spears of steamed broccoli or anything like that. I think BLW is what you make of it. Oh, and I rarely discussed anything to do with infant feeding with my pedi. They are wonderful medical doctors but we don't see eye to eye on most other matters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:42 PM
I don't feel comfortable encouraging my daughter to wean so I have chosen to let her self wean.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/how_weaning_happens.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Daisies.23
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:42 PM
2 moms liked this
If your baby is gagging then he/she is trying to tell you they aren't ready for solids yet.

You are talking about baby led solids- different than baby led weaning, but I do both. Never had an issue.

Around 6 months dd started playing with chunks of food. Around 8 months she started actually eating solids- I guess that's when she was ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom328
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

The biggest thing for me was how little work it was for me.  I didn't have to spend my time sitting there force feeding her and I can do a billion other things while she's happily playing in her food.  She's so good at the pincher grasp (at 10 months now) that she sat in a high chair at olive garden feeding herself off of a small plate that I set up for her.  It's just SO easy!

mollysmom328
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Actually, my understand is baby led weaning and baby led solids are the same thing.  Weaning from the breast is typically referred to as child led weaning or self weaning.

Quoting Pink.Daisies.23:

If your baby is gagging then he/she is trying to tell you they aren't ready for solids yet.

You are talking about baby led solids- different than baby led weaning, but I do both. Never had an issue.

Around 6 months dd started playing with chunks of food. Around 8 months she started actually eating solids- I guess that's when she was ready.

lilou
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM
My baby did gag twice the first time I gave him avocado but I gave him a little piece not really in puree. That's why Blw is not for us. From what I read baby led weaning or solid is the same.

Quoting Pink.Daisies.23:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motheram
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM
5 moms liked this
Gagging does not mean they are not ready. It happens. Baby is LEARNING how to chew and move food around his mouth. A baby's gag reflex is very strong. Mine has gagged a few times when he's taken too big of bite or not chewed the food good enough. He learned each time and in turn took smaller bites or more time chewing the food. Gagging is NOT choking. Gagging is the body's way of forcefully moving an object that has come too close to the airway. Choking happens when the airway becomes obstructed. My baby has never choked on foods I've given him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting lilou:

There isn't advantages for me doing it except that I wouln't have to do puree.The SAME advantage of baby led weaning also apply to puree fed. The studies are only a "maybe" like maybe it would prevent obesity because babies eat at their own pace
and decide when they are done and what to eat. But the same can apply with puree fed baby. I never forced my babies to eat a certain food and even if I hold the spoon THEY are in total control of what and how much they eat. I have to say I'm scared to death about chocking. It's not because it didn't happen 99.9% of the time that it won't happen. I just started feeding my baby and I freak out just to see him gag lol so it's definatly not for us!
If you are doing BLW, what made you decide to do so and are you ever scared about choking?  No.  Baby led solids does not mean leave baby with a tray of food and ignore.  :-)  The only time mine got solids was when I was also eating, which almost always meant the family was sitting down for a meal together.  You stay close to the baby, you interact with them, you make sure that they're doing okay.  Older infants are generally pretty good at judging how much can go into their mouths at once, what textures are soft enough to manage, and how much of a food they need to eat at a time.  When you allow them to make those judgements for themselves, they self regulate very well (assuming there are no physical or medical issues involved).  Remember, gagging comes before choking.  Most of the time, an older infant can work food back to the front of their mouth before gagging turns into choking.  
Does your baby cough or gag when eating?  Both of mine gagged once or twice when offered things they knew they really, really liked and stuffed too much in at one time (my son had a memorable incident with dried apricots, my daughter gagged once or twice on her favorite veggies).
Have you talk to your pedi about it? What do they say? (mine is totally against it but I don't think she really knows much on the subject).  I don't discuss parenting with our pedi.  The reasons why my son is an extremely late talker (he has apraxia), why my daughter's ear keeps clogging with old wax, those are issues for our pedi.  Parenting (guns in the house, co sleeping, how long we nurse, what we feed and when) is not something I discuss with him.  Doctors are not parenting experts.

Are you a political "independent?"  Tired of feeling like you only have Democrats or Republicans to choose from?  Well, there are many small parties active all across the United States.  Learn more at Third Party Americans.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/109790

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)