Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

hi so ive been on CM a bit but just recently joined this grp bc  im having more & more bf'ing questions &  stuff. so little about me..

i have 2   ds's dh1 is 3 1/2 &   ds2 is  just 5 1/2 wks now. i bf;d dh 1 but he was a diffult one to  bf & he didnt latch good & i  didnt  do it very well & so i ended up supp w/ formula earaly & then switching all together.. this time  ive been doing much better & ds2 is soley bf'd i did buy a pump bc he is a daytime sleeper & is up ALL night &  i need sleep badddd he also cluster feeds & i just needed to have some " daddy bottles" for night  btu i do still pump in the night  to maintain production.

i nurse & let him pacify ( he is a HUGE  pacifier baby)  in the day & i pump   inbetween too.. so all day im pumping or nursing.. needless to say my boobs are sore! but my milk has come in more & more.

my new issues are now leaarning about proper balance of formilk/hindmilk. my baby seems very colicky & gassy, spits ups allot some dyas worse than others.  he;ll seem happy then is hungry faste or somedays not at all & seems fussy & gassy =( i heard i might be pumping too much or making more formilk not hindmilk =making him gassy & not fullfilled.. so im trying to learn now how to better  this.

any advice id love it!

im never sure when  to switch  sides,  when its my hind milk or not i swear i cant tell the difference =/

by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Replies (21-22):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 25, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Quoting Imjustinsmommy:

Then you're doing great there... but unless you're going to work, back off the pumping.

im a sahm so i was only pumping b/c i wanted to get some " daddy bottles" ds is usally up all night & sleeps all day & ds1  my 3 1/2 yr old wakes up 6-7am & is up all day! LOL so i  was nto getting any sleep   i was pumping to make  enough for the night feedings  & yes, still getting up to pump 1-2x in the night  to keep production. i did  not pump last night though.. i  nursed  &  didn't make any bottles.

Put dad in charge of other things. Feeding is your province. Make him do something else, like dishes or laundry.

yes, it feels much better i was  killing my neck, shoulders back,  i t felt awkward i was trying more  for the latch not the  postion itself.. so thanks

Do you have a pillow to support him? It can be a big bed pillow. Doesn't have to be a nursing pillow.

oh don't i know  it! ds1 was a HUGE spitter. but he was a happy one & just poured it out everywhere with a smile this one sometimes cries & gets cranky still unsure if he has reflux.. i dont mind the laundry prob..  expected it  bc of ds1. he is filling up those dipes with plenty of pee & maybe 2 -3poops lately they slowed  down ( the poops). he just spits up ALOT like he can soak you & the bedding  then he cries  sometimes after so i wonder if it hurts.

He may be more startled than in pain.

He's supposed to pacify all night. Indeed, evict the word pacify from your vocabulary. Don't wake him, though. Let sleeping babies lie unless they're not making their daily dipes.

really??? im suppossed to let him do that all  night?  wow i can't  fall asleep that way. id roll over & fear he'd go flying off the bed! LOL. im a belly sleeper. i wait til he falls asleep & i put him down & ( gasp) i do put a  paci in his mouth so he can  paci all night til he drops it & falls asleeep.. IF he sleeps. we cosleep so its easier with him there

You can try to move him to his own space. Sidecarring the crib can really help with this.

thanks so much! last night   he did very well! dh got great sleep ( me not so much) but my boobs hurt less & he  even slept inbetween a few feedings one time for 3 hrs! thats insane for him at ngiht. but then he gets VERY gassy he didnt spit up as much oddly  so something was better with that.. but the gaaas ( farting)  was bad & he was  grunting & crying & cranky & i guess still wanting to  stay on & pacify. btu he;d eventually drift off again for a bit til the next feeding. i was surpried! 11pm-1130 he nursed then he cried for me at 240am & nursed til 330am he nurses long like active feeding. then 440am like clockwork 2 hrs later woke up crying nursed til 530something its a blurr LOL then 630am ish. i can't wait til it  gets further apart! it was hard but rewarding & he seemed happier & dh was  for once not a zombie LOL, wish i cna say that for me!

do you wake  a baby during the day though? to nurse...? omg i have 100 q's  sorry LOL. i just wnat to do this right i stopped with ds1 & i dont want to this time!

Let sleeping babies lie. No matter when! You take a nap yourself when he's napping, if you can. Don't go doing housework then, OK?

Imjustinsmommy
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Imjustinsmommy:

Then you're doing great there... but unless you're going to work, back off the pumping.

im a sahm so i was only pumping b/c i wanted to get some " daddy bottles" ds is usally up all night & sleeps all day & ds1  my 3 1/2 yr old wakes up 6-7am & is up all day! LOL so i  was nto getting any sleep   i was pumping to make  enough for the night feedings  & yes, still getting up to pump 1-2x in the night  to keep production. i did  not pump last night though.. i  nursed  &  didn't make any bottles.

Put dad in charge of other things. Feeding is your province. Make him do something else, like dishes or laundry.

he does what he can usually handles ds1 when he gets in. he works 12 hrs a day so  he cant  do too much  but he helps allot

yes, it feels much better i was  killing my neck, shoulders back,  i t felt awkward i was trying more  for the latch not the  postion itself.. so thanks

Do you have a pillow to support him? It can be a big bed pillow. Doesn't have to be a nursing pillow.

i have a oppy yes & many  but i was not using  them right is all .

oh don't i know  it! ds1 was a HUGE spitter. but he was a happy one & just poured it out everywhere with a smile this one sometimes cries & gets cranky still unsure if he has reflux.. i dont mind the laundry prob..  expected it  bc of ds1. he is filling up those dipes with plenty of pee & maybe 2 -3poops lately they slowed  down ( the poops). he just spits up ALOT like he can soak you & the bedding  then he cries  sometimes after so i wonder if it hurts.

He may be more startled than in pain.

maybe he seems like he just doesnt like it makes a yucky face cant say i blame him. its not always  but yeh i agree bc sometimes  he almost chokes i tnk he gets nervous  at times

He's supposed to pacify all night. Indeed, evict the word pacify from your vocabulary. Don't wake him, though. Let sleeping babies lie unless they're not making their daily dipes.

really??? im suppossed to let him do that all  night?  wow i can't  fall asleep that way. id roll over & fear he'd go flying off the bed! LOL. im a belly sleeper. i wait til he falls asleep & i put him down & ( gasp) i do put a  paci in his mouth so he can  paci all night til he drops it & falls asleeep.. IF he sleeps. we cosleep so its easier with him there

You can try to move him to his own space. Sidecarring the crib can really help with this.

i dont mind being  in the bed w/ him we do this & did with ds1 too between us. its just putting the paci back in all night i know its  not liked to be said but i  just cant let him  suckle on me all night long  in  the day im ok sorta but at night i cant sleep like that

thanks so much! last night   he did very well! dh got great sleep ( me not so much) but my boobs hurt less & he  even slept inbetween a few feedings one time for 3 hrs! thats insane for him at ngiht. but then he gets VERY gassy he didnt spit up as much oddly  so something was better with that.. but the gaaas ( farting)  was bad & he was  grunting & crying & cranky & i guess still wanting to  stay on & pacify. btu he;d eventually drift off again for a bit til the next feeding. i was surpried! 11pm-1130 he nursed then he cried for me at 240am & nursed til 330am he nurses long like active feeding. then 440am like clockwork 2 hrs later woke up crying nursed til 530something its a blurr LOL then 630am ish. i can't wait til it  gets further apart! it was hard but rewarding & he seemed happier & dh was  for once not a zombie LOL, wish i cna say that for me!

do you wake  a baby during the day though? to nurse...? omg i have 100 q's  sorry LOL. i just wnat to do this right i stopped with ds1 & i dont want to this time!

Let sleeping babies lie. No matter when! You take a nap yourself when he's napping, if you can. Don't go doing housework then, OK?

ohh, ive just started waking hhim if iff iffffff he  naps too long in the day only in hopes he;ll  sleep more at night then the daytime. i wasnt worried i know he pees poops enough. but he rarely now naps too long inless on me which is hard w/ ds1 i wear him but not latched . i think in time he will adapt of course im just  feeling my age this time around lol im 39 & a  active 3.5 yr old & newborn w/ a dh who is at work more than home is making me feel   like a zombbie but yes.. guilty i do housework he spits  up so much i need to or we have nothing at night  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)