Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What kinda of breast pump do you use...?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM
  • 18 Replies

Im currently 18 years old, I'll be 19 when we have our little girl. Im due June 26th. I want to breastfeed, but am caught between which kind of pump to use. I would like an electric double pump. I only want to pump for the first 6 months or so. I dont want to spend a lot of money on a pump, meaning $200..$300. I figured a price range between $50-$150 would be acceptable. The stores im closest too are Walmart, Target, Kmart & Babies R Us. I've looked up breast pumps on their websites, and looked at the reviews but figured I would ask for a few more options. I am also so the WIC program, they do provide a pump if im breast feeding full time, but im not sure if its a single pump, or non-electric. Also, if i tell them im breast feeding 1/2 and 1/2 they will still provide me with formula, which I would like to get.. just incase. Any options or advice would be greatly appceriated. Thanks mommies!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommabearsfirst
by Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I'll be getting the medela backpack double breast pump they say thats the best but its alittle higher then your price range but people say it last for years.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM
3 moms liked this
When looking into breast pumps the most important thing to consider is what you need the pump for. A mom who is home with her baby full time usually does not need a high quality, double electric pump, but a mom who is working or going to school full time does.

You should also find out what kind of pump WIC provides, under what circumstances. Some give double electric pumps to moms who are working, and hand pumps to stay at home moms. I'd ask what the policies are at your local WIC before investing in one.

If you want to breastfeed, it really is best to avoid the formula altogether, especially in the beginning. If you choose later to switch from exclusive breast feeding to combo breast/formula later on , that is easy to do. It is are, however to switch from combo feeding to exclusive breast feeding. If you can dedicate the first 4-6 weeks to only breastfeeding, you'll keep your options open.
Gailll
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Just in case formula is a bad idea. If you have just in case formula you are more likely to use it than if you have to get to a store and buy it. It takes a baby's body a month to recover from just one bottle of formula. There are many of us that have nursed many babies under difficult situations and have figured out ways to do it without ever needing formula. You can do it (I'm being your cheering crowd)!

You don't say that you are going to be working or going to school. You may not even need a pump. I nursed 3 babies all over a year and never needed a pump. Hand expression is easy to learn and free. If you aren't needing to be away much the WIC pump should be fine.

You can get a $300 Medela Pump in Style with the advanced suction for $50 on Craigslist. There are warnings that you shouldn't buy a used pump. There has been no documented case of a baby in the US of a baby getting sick from a used pump (or donor milk). Over 900 babies die a year according to the American Academy of Pediatrics because they are fed formula. It doesn't make sense that we are supposed to be afraid of used pumps but we aren't concerned about formula.

Nicole93Davis
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Wow, I didint know that about formula. Now that you bring it to my attention, its more understandable. If the formula is there I will be more likly to use it. I will be working full time. The baby however might be going to work with me, for a little while.. or just a few days a week.. until we work out the right routine. Im going too look more into what type of pump WIC provides, and then go from there.

Thank you all, you were very helpful : )

CafeMom Tickers
karina400
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:19 PM
You do not need a breast pump at all to breastfeed. In fact breastfeeding is much simpler without one imo. Before you give your baby any formula, make sure you are aware of the risks. I was worried enough about SIDS without doubling the risk with formula. Formula also carries many many other risks to both the short and long term health of you and your baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:02 AM

If working full time outside of the home, a double electric pump would work. 

Crunchy Moms La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                        ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Some great info can be found here....  

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/infant-formula.html

Crunchy Moms La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                        ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Quoting Nicole93Davis:

Wow, I didint know that about formula. Now that you bring it to my attention, its more understandable. If the formula is there I will be more likly to use it. I will be working full time. The baby however might be going to work with me, for a little while.. or just a few days a week.. until we work out the right routine. Im going too look more into what type of pump WIC provides, and then go from there.

Thank you all, you were very helpful : )

Talk to WIC, as well... they generally lend out double electrics for full-time working moms, but every office is different.   Find out what they offer so that you can prepare.   Like the others said, you will need a good double electric for going back to work full time. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
azpreemiemom
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I have a Medela Pump in Style. I pumped full time for my preemie for 7 months and it worked very well for us.

07lilmama1108
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 7:13 AM
My insurance paid for a Medela Pump In Style Advanced in the tote ($349 where i got it) and i love it! Check with your ibsurance, talk to WIC... there are good options out there.
I also agree with Gailll, don't do just in case formula. I stroctly fed dd formula and am currently breastfeeding my 7 week old... breastfeeding is BY FAR easier! No bottles needed except when I'm working, no worrying about contamination that could kill my baby or planning ahead while I'm out if the house!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN