Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I find this odd...

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:27 PM
  • 8 Replies

In a previous post, I wrote that my son FINALLY took to breastfeeding after numerous daily attempts.  He is 3 months old tomorrow.

Now my concern is that he will only nurse if I put him to breast as soon as he wakes from his nap, and he nurses through the night if he wakes up and when he wakes in the morning.  BUT if he is alert and is hungry, he will scream and cry so we resort to a bottle and he is satisfied.  Does anybody have an idea why this is so? (the screaming at my boobs!)

He nurses about 80% of the day and 20% is from a bottle of expressed BM.  So he only gets breastmilk and nothing else.  I don't get why this happens. I thought that maybe he just isn't hungry, but he ends up crying like he is starving and when he gets a bottle he is serene and satisfied and happy after.  

by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Could he be teething? My son went through avid night feedings and screamed during his day feeding when he was cutting his first teeth...
SMDufour
by Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I should have clarified....before he started to breastfeed like he does now, he would scream and cry and get very upset if I put him near my breast.  He acts the same if he isn't in a sleepy/groggy state.

motheram
by Angie on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Honestly, it sounds like a flow preference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:04 PM
This

Quoting motheram:

Honestly, it sounds like a flow preference.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:19 PM
2 moms liked this
First, hooray for how far you have come! You've gone from 0% at the breast, 100% from the bottle to 80% at the breast and 20% from the bottle. Awesome!

So, you are most of the way there.

He probably prefers the faster/immediate flow of milk from the bottle. When he's tired and not 100% awake, he does not protest, he's too relaxed. When he is alert, he realizes he wants it NOW.

The first thing I'd suggest is to try and get him to the breast sooner when he is awake. If you think he's going to want to eat at 11:00, offer the breast at 10:30.

Some people will say, ditch the bottle, he'll nurse when he's hungry, just put your foot down. I'd be reluctant to take this approach with a baby who has just gotten over screaming at and refusing the breast. It may be important to avoid any negative associations with being at the breast. If offering the breast sooner does not work, you can try giving the bottle, but only give him about 1/2 of his normal amount, then have him finish at the breast. If that works, he will have that full tummy, relaxed, milk drunk feeling at the breast. One more positive association with the breast.

Maybe between these two techniques you can get him at the breast 85%, then 90%, then finally reach your goal of 100%.

You've worked hard to get where you are, hang in there, you're in the home stretch!
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM

All of this!! :)

Quoting maggiemom2000:

First, hooray for how far you have come! You've gone from 0% at the breast, 100% from the bottle to 80% at the breast and 20% from the bottle. Awesome!

So, you are most of the way there.

He probably prefers the faster/immediate flow of milk from the bottle. When he's tired and not 100% awake, he does not protest, he's too relaxed. When he is alert, he realizes he wants it NOW.

The first thing I'd suggest is to try and get him to the breast sooner when he is awake. If you think he's going to want to eat at 11:00, offer the breast at 10:30.

Some people will say, ditch the bottle, he'll nurse when he's hungry, just put your foot down. I'd be reluctant to take this approach with a baby who has just gotten over screaming at and refusing the breast. It may be important to avoid any negative associations with being at the breast. If offering the breast sooner does not work, you can try giving the bottle, but only give him about 1/2 of his normal amount, then have him finish at the breast. If that works, he will have that full tummy, relaxed, milk drunk feeling at the breast. One more positive association with the breast.

Maybe between these two techniques you can get him at the breast 85%, then 90%, then finally reach your goal of 100%.

You've worked hard to get where you are, hang in there, you're in the home stretch!

mama02040608
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 1:53 AM
Maggie gave you great advice. Well done getting where you've gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMDufour
by Member on Mar. 3, 2012 at 6:11 AM

Thank you!  That is awesome advice.  I think I am going to work on that because it makes total sense :) That is something I definitely do not want to do - associate negative feelings at the breast.  

Thanks so much :0)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)