Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So frustrated with myself

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:08 AM
  • 7 Replies
My son is a week old and I have every intention when I was pregnant to brestfeed but seince he has been born I have been doing more and more formula. He has a hard time leaching on to my nipples (no I don't have inverted nipples) and he gets very irritated/frustrated and I hate the stupid nipple sheild thing. I am just so frustrated with myself I am thinking of going to a lactation person but I am not sure.

If you lady's have any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

I have to give him formula doctor orders. He's a premmie and she wants to have the calories and he's not getting confused.
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JasonsMom2007
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM
No more bottles! They can cause nipple confusion and flow preferance. A bottle is way easier than a breast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmansfield
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:12 AM
I have to use formula alittle. Pedestrian said to cause my son is a premmie she wants him to have it it of the calories.
Justine41
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:12 AM
The hardest part is the first two weeks. It takes two weeks to break or make a habit. If you really wanna continue BFing then I would suggest seeing a lactation consultant and don't give him anymore formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Breastmilk has WAY MORE calories then formula. My 5 week old is preemie and on straight breastmilk, formula IS NOT needed. Doctors are not educated in breastfeeding. Please do yourself and your baby a big favor and tosd the bottles and formula and spend a day doing skin to skin and nursing.

Quoting Kmansfield:

I have to use formula alittle. Pedestrian said to cause my son is a premmie she wants him to have it it of the calories.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ragitty
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I know how you feel. When my son was born he would not latch on. bf'ing was really important to me and I had hoped to exclusively  bf, but it got very difficult. I ended up using the sheild and pumping as often as possible, but I still had to supplement with formula. Don't give up--it is very difficult in the beginning, but so so so so worth it in the end. The sheild sucks, but my son refused to nurse without it until he was 5 months old. That was one of the happiest days of my life! Hang in there (I suggest a lactation consultant or someone else who has bf'ed before and might be able to help)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
larissalarie
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Breastmilk is best for preemies too. Formula is even riskier for premature babies. Are you home from the hospital already with a one week old premie? He must be doing very well if you are.

The bottom line is if you want to breastfeed, breastfeed. Supplementing with bottles causes all sorts of issues that are difficult to overcome. The earlier you stop the easier correcting them will be. If you absolutely must supplement, use a supplemental nursing system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gailll
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:14 AM

What do you mean when you say he isn't confused? If he can't latch he is probably confused. You can feed your baby your pumped milk instead of formula by spoon, syringe, eye dropper, little cup, or finger feeder. You can find videos on youtube.

A rental pump is the best kind of pump with a premature baby. You need to pump every 2-3 hours around the clock. One hospital found that the mother that also hand expressed 5 times a day (along with the 8-12 pumpings) got much more milk pumping. If you go to google and type in Marmet technique you can find written directions for hand expression and youtube videos. You can use the massage and shaking before pumping to get more milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)