Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Benefit to bfing...boil water order

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:33 AM
  • 12 Replies
Tonight a water main broke in our city forcing a boil water order. I am so glad that I am ebfing my son, so I don't have to worry about boiling the water correctly for his formula. My biggest issue is making sure his bottles and my pump parts are cleaned properly. I am back to work full time this week so I have to use them. Has anyone had to deal with this before? Any helpful hints?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ConnorMom228
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:21 AM
You could use the Medela cleaning cloths in the mean time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:45 AM
1 mom liked this

You're always supposed to boil the water with formula. Powdered formula cannot be sterilized.

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:08 AM
I think it's the water that needs sterilized no matter what it's used for. They'd have to boil it to drink and cook with, too. Or, they'd use bottled water.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

You're always supposed to boil the water with formula. Powdered formula cannot be sterilized.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Bottled water doesn't do anything for powdered formula. It is the formula that picks up and harbors bacteria. It takes heat (i.e. boiling water) to kill that bacteria.

Quoting Rhodin:

I think it's the water that needs sterilized no matter what it's used for. They'd have to boil it to drink and cook with, too. Or, they'd use bottled water.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

moroccanmommy
by Robin on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:21 AM
Yep goodjob mommy. I boil her paci bottles and pump parts everytime anyways
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Thanks everyone. one thing I realized is I need to wash my breast with boiled water to make sure he doesn't get any while nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Aha! you are smart, I didn't think of that!

I was just going to add you could get a few jugs of water to clean your pump with too. They are like .99 cents to $2 at Walmart I believe.

Quoting kblpooh:

Thanks everyone. one thing I realized is I need to wash my breast with boiled water to make sure he doesn't get any while nursing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kblpooh
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:04 PM
I have a dishwasher and got the detergent with bleach to wash my pump part and all my dishes. I also have the steam bags to disinfect as well.

Quoting comf:

Aha! you are smart, I didn't think of that!

I was just going to add you could get a few jugs of water to clean your pump with too. They are like .99 cents to $2 at Walmart I believe.

Quoting kblpooh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM
When I pumped I had some medela bags that I put the washed parts and bottles in with some water and microwaved it to steam and sterilize it all. You can.reuse each bag 20 times. That's the only thing I use our microwave for! Lol. Oh, and heating rice packs for our necks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM

bottled water to boil and sterilize your pump parts

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)