Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Latching HELP

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM
  • 20 Replies

So I desperately need to know how to get DD latching again, after our one good one she won't do it again. She just screams at me a pulls away. Or she'll just smile at me, lick my nipple and pull away. I've tried making the nipple hard so it's more like the bottle teat, I've tried it before and after expressing, I've tried it when she is sleepy or wide awake. It's breaking my heart. I've tried different positions, I've even tried compressing my nipple so it is shaped easier for her mouth like my midwife taught me when she was born. 

It's breaking my heart, I don't want our journey to end, it would absolutely destroy me if it ended now. I at the least want to reach 6 months, it would be such a dismall milestone, but at least it would be a milestone. So much for my minimum 2 years. I don't know what to do girls. I'm still expressing and taking my supply boosters, it's just not enough, I want to breastfeed. I want to feel that bond again, I want to know my daughter is getting the perfectly good milk from me she is supposed to!

Any tips?

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama02040608
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Spend a lot of time skin to skin with no expectations. Just hang out there. Start a feeding with the bottle and finish the feeding at the breast. Bathe together and offer in the warm tub.

So sorry you've been so undermined :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadedFaerie
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM

We do so much skin to skin, and that's what we do with the bottle, well at least try too. I've tried boob first, bottle second, then switched to bottle first to fill her up a bit and then offer boob. I cannot bathe very often, I cannot get out of the tub lol! But I shower with her and offer it in there too.

I can almost understand why people switch to formula, I'm just a stubborn biatch lol. Is it stupid that I'm balling my eyes out now?

Quoting mama02040608:

Spend a lot of time skin to skin with no expectations. Just hang out there. Start a feeding with the bottle and finish the feeding at the breast. Bathe together and offer in the warm tub.

So sorry you've been so undermined :(

FebPenguins
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:46 AM

have you checked out kellymom.com. As I haven't had latching issues myself I have nothing to offer. Keep trying!

JadedFaerie
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Yes, Kellymom used to be my favourite website until I realised not everything there works for everyone and almost nothing works for me :( Thanks though.

Quoting FebPenguins:

have you checked out kellymom.com. As I haven't had latching issues myself I have nothing to offer. Keep trying!

preacherskid
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Have you tried using a different thing to put the milk in, like a cup or syringe? She isn't too young to try a sippy with the filter out, you just hold her upright on your lap and tip the cup just enough for her to be able to sip a little milk at a time. Sounds like she may have a nipple preference, switching to a cup would mean the only nipple available is yours. We had to move to a cup after my older dd hit a nursing strike, I knew part of it was a nipple preference. She started latching better after we did the cup. Also, I can't remember, have you tried an sns? You may be able to rig one up using a syringe and some tubing, and use it at the start of a feed so she gets instant results until you get a letdown. That is all I can think of right now :/
sara1012
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Sounds like you've tried a lot of different things. Maybe express some milk and rub on the nipple to give the milk taste.

Have you offered both sides if she want latch to one? Sometimes my little girl will fight one side but latch to the other.

Keep trying mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadedFaerie
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:29 AM

We've used both syringe and a cup. She chokes on both. I very much doubt giving her an even faster flow would help, though thanks or that advice. Even fast let down doesn't help (If I'm full or half full its quite a fast flow anyway.) Her bottles are choice flow, as in she chooses the flow and I use the teats designed for breastfeeding mums. Thanks though =/

Quoting preacherskid:

Have you tried using a different thing to put the milk in, like a cup or syringe? She isn't too young to try a sippy with the filter out, you just hold her upright on your lap and tip the cup just enough for her to be able to sip a little milk at a time. Sounds like she may have a nipple preference, switching to a cup would mean the only nipple available is yours. We had to move to a cup after my older dd hit a nursing strike, I knew part of it was a nipple preference. She started latching better after we did the cup. Also, I can't remember, have you tried an sns? You may be able to rig one up using a syringe and some tubing, and use it at the start of a feed so she gets instant results until you get a letdown. That is all I can think of right now :/

preacherskid
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Quoting JadedFaerie:

How fast is your letdown? It could be she can't handle the fast flow of milk yet then. What positions have you tried while nursing?
preacherskid
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Sorry if I am asking questions that have been addressed in any of your earlier posts, my brain is fried today :P
JadedFaerie
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Quoting sara1012:

Sounds like you've tried a lot of different things. Maybe express some milk and rub on the nipple to give the milk taste.

Have you offered both sides if she want latch to one? Sometimes my little girl will fight one side but latch to the other.

Keep trying mama.

She's always had a side preference :) I express it on the nipple and in her mouth. It's just a fail situation lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)