• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flying

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM
  • 14 Replies

We will be flying back home soon to visit family. I have never flown with an infant before. Anyone have any advice? I am also nurvious about nursing on a plane, I am a very shy person and just hope everything goes good. 

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Missyify
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Oh I'm about to leave in april, going to va from hawaii with a 3 month old... I heard to nurse at takeoff and landing so it well unpop their ears.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM
As a friendly gesture, you might want to purchase a few pair of individually packaged ear plugs to take with you on the plane. If you LO starts a crying jag, you can pass them out to the folks around you and make a little joke about it. (We flew when DS was a couple weeks old, and it went great. DH took the outside, and I felt it was more private when we nursed).
Nyx112
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM

We are flying from Hawaii to arkansas. 

I didn't even think of that. I will have to remember to do that.

Quoting Missyify:

Oh I'm about to leave in april, going to va from hawaii with a 3 month old... I heard to nurse at takeoff and landing so it well unpop their ears.

Nyx112
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM

We will be flying with our two older kids as well so chances are we will have to be split. We got lucky on our last flight and had seating that was across from eachother. DH took one kid and I took one then we would switch off. 

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM
DH & I did a California to new York & back again trip at 7 months. DS refused to nurse through a lot of it. I had DH hold a sweatshirt up at the aisle seat so I was blocked & had to just hang out for DS to latch a few times....it was unpleasant. Once he got comfortable nursing on the plane, he was fine, though.
My advice: bring a baby carrier like an ergo for the airport, buy a seat or bring the infant carrier if you can for the baby, and overplan. I brought 15 small toys & 4 books. We went through all of them quickly. We also downloaded an episode of sesame street onto a laptop & had DS watch it for 10 minutes at a time, then played 10 minutes, repeat, which helped a ton.

DH walked up & down the aisles a lot which helped too.
A lot of people say "it's easy, baby will nurse & sleep" - mine did not, hope yours does & plan for baby not sleeping!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Missyify
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Good luck to both of us! Haha

Are you all stationed here? We got here a little over a year ago.

Quoting Nyx112:

Quoting Missyify:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nyx112
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM

yeah we are at schofield. We have also been here a little over a year.

Quoting Missyify:

Good luck to both of us! Haha

Are you all stationed here? We got here a little over a year ago.

Quoting Nyx112:

Quoting Missyify:

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Mar. 5, 2012 at 12:15 AM
We flew from Cleveland to London when ds was 6 months old. I nursed him at takeoff and landing, with the tail of my sling draped down over my shoulder. My ds's carseat was in window seat and dh had aisle so we were blocked in. People would have had to make quite an effort to see anything. We've flown w all 4 of the kids and they sometimes won't nurse at takeoff bc they're so distracted. I do find that the humming drone of the engine makes for a fantastic sleep inducer. I think the landing is more of an ear-popping problem bc airplanes descend more drastically than they ascend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nyx112
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I am going to try and nurse durring take off and landing. Bubby will be 5 months old. He gets distracted so easily right now I just hope he handles everything well. I am going to bring a binky too and offer it. 

lifetimelove
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 2:12 AM
I'm at Hickam. =). Hello fellow breastfeeding Hawaii moms. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)