Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iam wondering

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM
  • 12 Replies

since my stock of frozen is now horrible and baby will not take it cuz of the taste if I should just pump right before I go to work and give him fresh while im gone I only work 2-3 days a week and only 3-5 hours and I can easily pump 5 ounces any thoughts on that?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karina400
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Sounds like you have come up with a good plan. How old is baby? What time do you go to work? Could you nurse right before you leave and still pump enough for the time away? Then nurse again right when you get home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candycrz
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM

he is 3 months i usually work 6-10 sometimes 3-6 i do feed him before i leave and right when i get home and i usually get 5 ounces everytime i pump

Quoting karina400:

Sounds like you have come up with a good plan. How old is baby? What time do you go to work? Could you nurse right before you leave and still pump enough for the time away? Then nurse again right when you get home?

maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Fresh is better anyway, so if you can easily work it to always pump fresh the day of or the day before, that is the way to go!

candycrz
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM

so it only tastes bad if i freeze it?

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Fresh is better anyway, so if you can easily work it to always pump fresh the day of or the day before, that is the way to go!

karina400
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Look up excess liapese. Some women have this problem whith pumped milk.

Quoting candycrz:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candycrz
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM

i always taste it when i pump but once i freeze and thaw it tastes and smells like it went bad

Quoting karina400:

Look up excess liapese. Some women have this problem whith pumped milk.

Quoting candycrz:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I agree it is probably the lipase. Here's an explanation:

My expressed breastmilk doesn't smell fresh. What can I do?

Human milk that has truly soured has a very distinct sour taste and odor - much like soured cow's milk. If your milk doesn't smell distinctly sour or rancid, then it should be safe to give to your baby.

If you repeatedly notice that your stored milk doesn't smell or taste fresh, it might help to go through your storage procedures to see if there is something you could do to improve the smell/taste of your milk:

• Storage containers: Standard glass or plastic bottles (or any type of leak-proof food storage containers) are acceptable for storing mother's milk, as are disposable bottle liners or "mother's milk" bags. The best materials are glass or food-grade polypropylene or polybutylene (hard) plastic. Polyethylene bags (bottle liners) do not preserve nutrients and immune properties as well as glass or hard plastic. (Jones & Tully 2005)
    • If you're using standard plastic bottle liners, instead try using bags specifically designed for storing human milk.
    • If you're storing in plastic, try glass instead.
  • Storage conditions:
    • Do you plan to freeze the milk? If you're not expecting to use refrigerated milk within 5-8 days of expression, then freeze as soon as possible after expression. Use as soon as possible after thawing (but always within 24 hours).
    • Make sure that all packages in your refrigerator or freezer are sealed well, so that your milk cannot absorb odors from other foods. A box of baking soda placed in the refrigerator or freezer may help to absorb odors.
    • Store your milk in the BACK of the refrigerator or freezer, not in the door. Don't store your milk against the wall of a self-defrosting freezer.
    • Is your freezer cold enough? If your freezer keeps ice cream hard, then the temperature is right.

A few mothers find that their refrigerated or frozen milk begins to smell or taste soapy, sour, or even rancid soon after it's stored, even though all storage guidelines have been followed closely. Per Lawrence & Lawrence (p. 781), the speculation is that these mothers have an excess of the enzyme lipase in their milk, which begins to break down the milk fat soon after the milk is expressed. Most babies do not mind a mild change in taste, and the milk is not harmful, but the stronger the taste the more likely that baby will reject it.

Lipase is an enzyme that is normally present in human milk and has several known beneficial functions:

• Lipases help keep milk fat well-mixed (emulsified) with the "whey" portion of the milk, and also keep the fat globules small so that they are easily digestible (Lawrence & Lawrence, p. 156).
  • Lipases also help to break down fats in the milk, so that fat soluble nutrients (vitamins A & D, for example) and free fatty acids (which help to protect baby from illness) are easily available to baby (Lawrence & Lawrence, p. 156).
  • The primary lipase in human milk, bile salt-stimulated lipase (BSSL), "has been found to be the major factor inactivating protozoans" (Lawrence & Lawrence, p. 203).

Per Lawrence & Lawrence (p. 158), the amount of BSSL in a particular mother's milk does not vary during a feed, and is not different at different times of day or different stages of lactation. There is evidence that there may be a decrease in lipase activity over time in mothers who are malnourished.

What can I do if my storage problem is due to excess lipase? Once the milk becomes sour or rancid smelling/tasting, there is no known way to salvage it. However, newly expressed milk can be stored by heating the milk to a scald to inactivate the lipase and stop the process of fat digestion. Scald the milk as soon after expression as possible.

To scald milk:

• Heat milk to about 180 F (82 C), or until you see little bubbles around the edge of the pan (not to a full, rolling boil).
  • Quickly cool and store the milk.

Scalding the milk will destroy some of the antiinfective properties of the milk and may lower some nutrient levels, but this is not likely to be an issue unless all of the milk that baby is receiving has been heat-treated.

Per Lawrence & Lawrence, bile salt-stimulated lipase can also be destroyed by heating the milk at 144.5 F (62.5 C) for one minute (p. 205), or at 163 F (72 C) for up to 15 seconds (p. 771).

Additional information

Breastmilk Storage & Handling @ 

Common Concerns When Storing Human Milk by Cindy Scott Duke, from New Beginnings, Vol. 15 No. 4, July - August 1998, p. 109.

sreichelt26
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I would just pump and give him fresh. And based on when you're gone, he should only need one bottle anyway. So if you pump 5 oz, that's enough for two days that you work. Maybe pump on the days you work 6-10 and don't worry about pumping on days you work 3-6.

candycrz
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

would i need to leave milk on the days i work 3-6?

Quoting sreichelt26:

I would just pump and give him fresh. And based on when you're gone, he should only need one bottle anyway. So if you pump 5 oz, that's enough for two days that you work. Maybe pump on the days you work 6-10 and don't worry about pumping on days you work 3-6.

sreichelt26
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM
You could, but if you nurse right before and right after you should be fine. Or you can nurse right before, give 2 oz two hours later, and then nurse a little after you get home but you wouldn't have to rush.

Quoting candycrz:

would i need to leave milk on the days i work 3-6?

Quoting sreichelt26:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)