• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rash and swollen

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM
  • 13 Replies
My ds is 4 months old and EBF. A couple of days ago he started getting a rash in his diaper area. It is kind of patchy and more towards the crease of his leg. Also it looks like the ring at his circ site (yes he is circ'd) is swollen. He doesn't seem in pain but has been refusing to nurse here and there. Nothing has changed really, except we are staying with my grandma. My diet, his diapers, wipes, everything is still the same. And he is changed just as often, never sits in poop. I dont really think it is the typical diaper rash. He's never had a rash before either...

Ideas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugosma
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM

It could be a thrush rash.But I would call your dr and get it checked out.

haymanisourson
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Well I would normally take him but like I said we are staying with my Grandma right now and we're 8 hours away from home :-/

Quoting hugosma:

It could be a thrush rash.But I would call your dr and get it checked out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugosma
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Didn't know you were that far from dr. Try this trick got out the the store and pick up some cream that you would use for a yeast infection,put that on his bottom and seee if that helps unilt you can get him to the dr.Same stuff that the dr would give ya just without the trip.

haymanisourson
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM
I've been using bag balm (for cows lol) which is basically lanolin. Do you think him refusing to nurse and the rash have something to do with each other?

Quoting hugosma:

Didn't know you were that far from dr. Try this trick got out the the store and pick up some cream that you would use for a yeast infection,put that on his bottom and seee if that helps unilt you can get him to the dr.Same stuff that the dr would give ya just without the trip.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amerigalese
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM
some people have reactions to lanolin... espescially babies... my son did when he was little. use a damp cloth wipe the circ site and put vaseline on it.. your ped should have told u to do that every dsy and wipe and vaseline after every pee. if all else bare bottom the baby on a few towels for a while let his skin breathe
haymanisourson
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Oh he's 4 months. Its completely healed just swollen for the last couple of days. I was using the bag balm as diaper rash ointment AFTER I noticed the problem. The bag balm was an old home remedy in my family.

Ill let him air out tonight. Hopefully that will help. The rash isn't getting worse but its not really getting any better either.

Quoting amerigalese:

some people have reactions to lanolin... espescially babies... my son did when he was little. use a damp cloth wipe the circ site and put vaseline on it.. your ped should have told u to do that every dsy and wipe and vaseline after every pee. if all else bare bottom the baby on a few towels for a while let his skin breathe
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM
I was thinking yeast too. You can use an antifungal cream on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amerigalese
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM
make sure there isnt a hair or something arround his penis it could cause an infection too
haymanisourson
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Ok. I'm pretty sure its yeast. Can I put genetian violet down there? I know that kills yeast on contact.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Lotramin

Quoting hugosma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)