Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby not taking breastmilk from bottle

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM
  • 2 Replies
My baby is a month old this week i will return to work in anout a month and ped suggested i start introducing bm with bottle.... i am using dr brown bottles and hisnlevel 1 nipples....she is spitting the milk out and wont suck on the nipples....besides trying different nipples anyone have suggestions?
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
sreichelt26
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:00 PM

are you the one feeding her? most of the time, babies won't take bottles from mom because they know the tap is right there. hand her to someone else when it's time to eat and leave the house. babies also perform much better for caretakers *go figure* - they take bottles, go down for naps no problem...

here are some links to help:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/breast-versus-bottle-how-much-milk-should-baby-take

plus, always remember that baby only needs 1-1.25 oz per hour you're gone, and bottles shouldn't be more than 3 oz. At this age I would start with 2 oz. And always use the slowest flow nipple so she doesn't develop flow preference. She has to work at the breast, she needs to work at the bottle too. You might also have to try different bottles - Breastflow and Tommee Tippee usually have good results, but some people have luck with just the regular playtex drop ins.

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Mom is to never give the bottle, you want her to think breast when you have her not bottle. She might not take bottle till she hss too, i wouldnt really worry or push it on her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)