Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping??

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son will be 2 weeks old on Wednesday. Eventually I would like to start pumping to get a good supply in the freezer so that I can actually go out with my husband every once in a while...  But I have a few questions... 

1. When should I start pumping? I've read that you should wait until they are atleast a month old?

2. Im worried that I will go to pump and get done and then Emmett will want to nurse. Is this a problem? 

3. How do I get my supply up so that I CAN pump and nurse? 

4. Are there certain times when its better to pump?? 

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
wenuck
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM
In the mornings..and I always found pumping on one side while she nursed on the other worked great. And I started when my milk came in and that was when she was 4 days old. She wouldnt eat enough and I was so full that I had to pump just to relieve myself. Im sure you will get great and better advice! Great women here!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Quoting LisaRoyNKaden:

My son will be 2 weeks old on Wednesday. Eventually I would like to start pumping to get a good supply in the freezer so that I can actually go out with my husband every once in a while...  But I have a few questions... 

1. When should I start pumping? I've read that you should wait until they are atleast a month old?

Now is fine.

2. Im worried that I will go to pump and get done and then Emmett will want to nurse. Is this a problem? 

N ope. He'll get more out of you than the pump will.

3. How do I get my supply up so that I CAN pump and nurse? 

Pump and nurse. lol Supply = demand.; If the demand is there, the supply will be there.

4. Are there certain times when its better to pump?? 

Mornings are best, before he nurses.

LisaRoyNKaden
by Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Thanks ladies! Im gonna start pumping on Tuesday morning then... I just realized I don't have any storage bags...  oops!   Looks like im running to the store tomorrow! lol 

gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM

1. Whenever you want. If you only need an pccasional bottle, two days before your planned outing is plenty early. Baby needs 1 -1.25 ounces per hour.

2. Nope. Milk is made WHILE nursing or pumping. You cannot run out.

3. See number two. You ned do NOTHING.

4. Mornbing is best. Baby one side, pump on the other. Yes, there will be plenty.

Arizona77
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM

You can start pumping now .. my nurse told me to wait 6 weeks but I started at 3 weeks or so. 

I used to worry that my baby will want to nurse right after pumping and I wouldnt have enough too but I just pump while he is sleeping.  The morning is suppose to be the best time, but my baby is a night owl and im way to tired in the mornings.  Ive gotten up to 7.5 ounces pumping at night.   

The best way to keep your supply up is to keep breast feeding your baby.. the more u nurse the more your body produces milk and drink tonnes of water, water is very important. 

I pump anytime and whenever I can but mornings are when moms say they get the most milk.  When I feel like my breasts are full and swollen or when Im leaking with milk I use that time to pump.  

CONGRATU;ATIONS ON YOUR BABY!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)