Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iron Supplements?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM
  • 13 Replies

I tend to be borderline anemic even when I'm not pregnant. I know my daughter will get what she needs, but should I look into taking an iron pill for me?

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiemom2000
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, it is probably a good idea.
annaica
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Yep :) I just found out I am anemic, it isn't fun... hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I'd eat liver a couple times a week.  :-)  Tastes better and much less likely to make you feel sick.

Fields456
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I take an whole food iron pill that you can take on an empty stomache and doesn't make u sick. I'll post the name in a few min
It's mega food. - blood builder. I get it at the vitamin shoppe and it's like $11 for a 30 day supply. Well worth it IMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes.  Typically bf babies are only anemic if their moms are.  Make sure that your iron levels are fine and hers should be as well.

larissalarie
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM
I think that would be wise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I'm not gonna be eating liver! :) I am making sure to get other high iron foods and eat something with vitamin c at the same time to increase absorption. I'm looking towards an extra iron pill in case I can't get myself to eat. I think I've done pretty good right now. I was sleeping 14 hours a day, not able to eat much, and getting pretty confused. Midwife said I was slightly anemic. I'm sure I'm just being a bit paranoid as my levels are usually right at the cusp when I'm not pregnant. When I remember to get the right foods, I feel a lot better.

Quoting eema.gray:

I'd eat liver a couple times a week.  :-)  Tastes better and much less likely to make you feel sick.

LKRA
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

For YOU?

Yeah, I would. I've always had low iron, so I took a supplement when pregnant, then just kept taking it for awhile after baby was born.

Hema.....plex, I think.

jolou
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 6:09 AM

Don't eat liver! It's high levels of vitamin A can be harmful when pregnant : )

Quoting MonicaV1982:

I'm not gonna be eating liver! :) I am making sure to get other high iron foods and eat something with vitamin c at the same time to increase absorption. I'm looking towards an extra iron pill in case I can't get myself to eat. I think I've done pretty good right now. I was sleeping 14 hours a day, not able to eat much, and getting pretty confused. Midwife said I was slightly anemic. I'm sure I'm just being a bit paranoid as my levels are usually right at the cusp when I'm not pregnant. When I remember to get the right foods, I feel a lot better.

Quoting eema.gray:

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.

- Dr Suess

demonica29
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 6:15 AM
Personally, for me, it is IV all the time. Bi-weekly when I was preggo, currently every three months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)