Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

asked not to breastfeed baby at sons school

Posted by   + Show Post
Their was a parents activity day at ss6 school yesterday. Today his teacher said that my breastfeeding botherd some other parents and they went out of their way to complain about it

Apparently their was sone concern about exposing children to it.

WTF!

I did tell her that there are laws protecting nursing in public and uf my baby was hungry i would feed her.

She suggested that i use a cover up or blanket. I said, no im not doing that. I lied and said i signed a pledge to nurse with out cover up and on demand where ever baby got hungary.

Them she offered to find a private room for me to nurse if needed. I said no i will nurse where ever i am ehen baby gets hungry.

A LITTLE REDUNDANT RIGHT?

I SAID NO!!

although i didnt yell at her i respectfully declined and mentioned that at one time parents objected to the negro kid being allowed in the class room and the gay kid too.

Someone posted the law verbatum the other day....
please email it to me as i only have a mobile phone so i cant copy and paste(that i know of)
someone please message me if you can find the post with the law in it. I want to email the principle and school board tonight...im on a mission!

UPDATED....NOBODY SAW MY BOOB. I HAD A NURSING CAMMI AND A SWEATSHIRT SO NOBODY EVEN SAW MY TUMMY. THE TEACHER DIDNT EVEN NOTICE AND I BF AT LEAST 3 TIMES DURING THE TIME I WAS THERE. KIDS SHOULD SEE MOTHERS BREASTFEEDING IMO, BUT NONE OF THEM DID OR THE KIDDOS WOULD HAVE PROBABLY SAID SOMETHING LIKE "WHAT R U DOING?".

REGAURDLESS. I EMAILED THE PRINCIPLE AND HE SAID THAT I AM NOT ALLOWED TO BF AT THE SCHOOL UNLESS I AM IN A PRIVATE ROOM OR USE A COVER. I AM EMAILING HIM BACK WITH SOME ATTACHMENTS....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
mollysmom328
by Stephanie on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I have to know district or area :/  This makes me sad.

Quoting heathercm26:

Wisconsin

Quoting maggiemom2000:

What state are you in?

http://breastfeedinglaw.com/

MommaTasha1003
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

exposing children to a baby eating a good healthy diet?! how dare you!

heathercm26
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Osseo -fairchild school district. It was the kindergarden teacher, mrs. O

Quoting mollysmom328:

I have to know district or area :/  This makes me sad.

Quoting heathercm26:

Wisconsin

Quoting maggiemom2000:

What state are you in?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FLmommy0204
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:26 PM
7 moms liked this

Quoting mommy2b39465:

....I know that law states that you can breastfeed in public without a cover. However, I kinda think it's just polite to either cover up or go into a private room

I kinda think it's just rude to expect someone to cover up or to to a private room just because someone else might be uncomfortable. Do you eat under a blanket when you are out in public?  Or go to a private room?  Didn't think so.

heathercm26
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM
Really...she can be fined. Wow. I am planning on emailing the school tonight thats great to know.

Quoting mollysmom328:

Not only can you breastfeed wherever you are allowed to be in WI but anybody who harrasess you can be fined.  Plus, a school is a government building (assuming it's public) which is covered by federal law.

Quoting heathercm26:

Wisconsin

Quoting maggiemom2000:

What state are you in?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom328
by Stephanie on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:32 PM
3 moms liked this
Yep.  This is the exact law and apparently it's a $200 fine. .

Wisconsin

Public Breastfeeding Law

SECTION 1. 253.16 of the statutes is created to read:
253.16 Right to breast−feed. A mother may breast−feed her child in any public or private location where the mother and child are otherwise authorized to be. In such a location, no person may prohibit a mother from breast−feeding her child, direct a mother to move to a different location to breast−feed her child, direct a mother to cover her child or breast while breast−feeding, or otherwise restrict a mother from breast−feeding her child as provided in this section.

Quoting heathercm26:

Really...she can be fined. Wow. I am planning on emailing the school tonight thats great to know.

Quoting mollysmom328:

Not only can you breastfeed wherever you are allowed to be in WI but anybody who harrasess you can be fined.  Plus, a school is a government building (assuming it's public) which is covered by federal law.

Quoting heathercm26:

Wisconsin

Quoting maggiemom2000:

What state are you in?

MommyJill87
by Jill on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this
That is BS of the school. Good for you for standing up for your rights.

Quoting ceckyl:

Hey good for you for not backing down !!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

i have to say...I got a huge smile when she posted they could get fined :)

how's that for ammo, huh?

jadsmummy
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Good job for not backing down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:43 PM
:) good for you mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)