Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

asked not to breastfeed baby at sons school

Posted by   + Show Post
Their was a parents activity day at ss6 school yesterday. Today his teacher said that my breastfeeding botherd some other parents and they went out of their way to complain about it

Apparently their was sone concern about exposing children to it.

WTF!

I did tell her that there are laws protecting nursing in public and uf my baby was hungry i would feed her.

She suggested that i use a cover up or blanket. I said, no im not doing that. I lied and said i signed a pledge to nurse with out cover up and on demand where ever baby got hungary.

Them she offered to find a private room for me to nurse if needed. I said no i will nurse where ever i am ehen baby gets hungry.

A LITTLE REDUNDANT RIGHT?

I SAID NO!!

although i didnt yell at her i respectfully declined and mentioned that at one time parents objected to the negro kid being allowed in the class room and the gay kid too.

Someone posted the law verbatum the other day....
please email it to me as i only have a mobile phone so i cant copy and paste(that i know of)
someone please message me if you can find the post with the law in it. I want to email the principle and school board tonight...im on a mission!

UPDATED....NOBODY SAW MY BOOB. I HAD A NURSING CAMMI AND A SWEATSHIRT SO NOBODY EVEN SAW MY TUMMY. THE TEACHER DIDNT EVEN NOTICE AND I BF AT LEAST 3 TIMES DURING THE TIME I WAS THERE. KIDS SHOULD SEE MOTHERS BREASTFEEDING IMO, BUT NONE OF THEM DID OR THE KIDDOS WOULD HAVE PROBABLY SAID SOMETHING LIKE "WHAT R U DOING?".

REGAURDLESS. I EMAILED THE PRINCIPLE AND HE SAID THAT I AM NOT ALLOWED TO BF AT THE SCHOOL UNLESS I AM IN A PRIVATE ROOM OR USE A COVER. I AM EMAILING HIM BACK WITH SOME ATTACHMENTS....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Replies (21-30):
Babyshoe
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Ridiculous! Good job standing your ground! Get them ;)

comf
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM
5 moms liked this

http://www.thealphaparent.com/2012/01/how-to-win-any-breastfeeding-argument.html

Argument: “You shouldn’t do that in public; children could see.”

Comeback:   Yes children could see. When they go to a zoo, or a farm, or have pets in their homes should their parents make sure they never see animals nursing to avoid scarring them? Mammals nurse their young. Humans are mammals. “Nursing in public is one of the best things a breastfeeding mother can do for society as a whole - not just to give her own child a healthy start, but to give other people's children the opportunity to see mothering and nurturance at the breast as normal, healthy, and enjoyable” (Nursing Freedom).
comf
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM

http://boobietime.blogspot.com/2012/01/ww-what-happens-when-children-see.html

MissTacoBell
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Personally I plan to try and cover and find a quiet spot IF I can find one and it doesn't disrupt what I'm out and about doing. That's MY personal comfort level (I'm super shy when I feel I may attract attention).

But that's MY decision. We live in a free country where I can do what I want and so can you. If you want to nip anywhere anytime and you are comfortable with it, you have a right to not be harassed when doing it.

Stick it to them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Let us know how the letter goes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krs_tristan
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Georgia just passed this law also! Cannot wait until every state has it!

Quoting mollysmom328:

Not only can you breastfeed wherever you are allowed to be in WI but anybody who harrasess you can be fined.  Plus, a school is a government building (assuming it's public) which is covered by federal law.

Quoting heathercm26:

Wisconsin

Quoting maggiemom2000:

What state are you in?

http://breastfeedinglaw.com/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Or if it becomes federal law.

Quoting krs_tristan:

Georgia just passed this law also! Cannot wait until every state has it!

Quoting mollysmom328:

Not only can you breastfeed wherever you are allowed to be in WI but anybody who harrasess you can be fined.  Plus, a school is a government building (assuming it's public) which is covered by federal law.

Quoting heathercm26:

Wisconsin

Quoting maggiemom2000:

What state are you in?

http://breastfeedinglaw.com/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alreadydidthis
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 9:19 PM
I would cover up only because if other children. I dont teach santa clause but i watch what i tell my kid i dont want them to ruin it for others. But i agree with you stick to your guns. My baby pulls the cover down when i cover her up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lotsamommy
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 10:27 PM
3 moms liked this

What are the children being exposed to?  Maybe they will learn what a breast was designed for!  My 4 yr. old goes around nursing her dolls and I couldn't be more proud.  She's 4 and knows how to feed her baby!

GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM
4 moms liked this
I hope my DS grows up believing--as we do--that breasts are for feeding babies... What better place to NIP than in a school?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)