Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

asked not to breastfeed baby at sons school

Posted by   + Show Post
Their was a parents activity day at ss6 school yesterday. Today his teacher said that my breastfeeding botherd some other parents and they went out of their way to complain about it

Apparently their was sone concern about exposing children to it.

WTF!

I did tell her that there are laws protecting nursing in public and uf my baby was hungry i would feed her.

She suggested that i use a cover up or blanket. I said, no im not doing that. I lied and said i signed a pledge to nurse with out cover up and on demand where ever baby got hungary.

Them she offered to find a private room for me to nurse if needed. I said no i will nurse where ever i am ehen baby gets hungry.

A LITTLE REDUNDANT RIGHT?

I SAID NO!!

although i didnt yell at her i respectfully declined and mentioned that at one time parents objected to the negro kid being allowed in the class room and the gay kid too.

Someone posted the law verbatum the other day....
please email it to me as i only have a mobile phone so i cant copy and paste(that i know of)
someone please message me if you can find the post with the law in it. I want to email the principle and school board tonight...im on a mission!

UPDATED....NOBODY SAW MY BOOB. I HAD A NURSING CAMMI AND A SWEATSHIRT SO NOBODY EVEN SAW MY TUMMY. THE TEACHER DIDNT EVEN NOTICE AND I BF AT LEAST 3 TIMES DURING THE TIME I WAS THERE. KIDS SHOULD SEE MOTHERS BREASTFEEDING IMO, BUT NONE OF THEM DID OR THE KIDDOS WOULD HAVE PROBABLY SAID SOMETHING LIKE "WHAT R U DOING?".

REGAURDLESS. I EMAILED THE PRINCIPLE AND HE SAID THAT I AM NOT ALLOWED TO BF AT THE SCHOOL UNLESS I AM IN A PRIVATE ROOM OR USE A COVER. I AM EMAILING HIM BACK WITH SOME ATTACHMENTS....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Replies (361-370):
Hyman
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Those pics of kids nursing their babies are so adorable, but I lol'd at Barbie feeding baby haha.

I've nursed in front of my niece and nephew ever since I've had my son (whos 7 mo old now) and its the most natural thing.

How backwards did our society become? Good for you because of you standing up for yourself you have actually helped those childrens future children in the effort of freedom to nip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathercm26
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 9:39 PM
THANK YOU!

Quoting parentalrights1:

She rightfully doesn't have to. No we don't have to compromise.

Quoting ftm_tiffany:

Yes, because I'm sure she was being harassed... she was simply asked if she could cover up or use a room.  It's 15-20 min of compromise. Give me a break. 

Quoting helema24:

i think we should encourage the BFing sites to print cards for BFing moms to carry with them with the laws and penalties on them. and each time someone harasses one of us we can hand the card to them!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 18, 2012 at 9:45 PM

WOW, well the principal is wrong, the law says you can BF anywhere you and your baby are allowd to be, so unless your baby or you are not allowed to be there then he has no right to say where you can nurse.  He can actually be taken to court for violating your rights.  ACLU would love this case

heathercm26
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 9:53 PM
One parent noticed i was bfing, passed it around to a couple others and their was a complaint made. The kids didnt see...the teacher didnt even know about it til the next day and i was completely covered by my clothes and my baby (not a cover or blanket). I wasnt trying to make a statement, i was just feeding the baby. DISCRETELY!. THE PROBLEM WAS NOT KIDS SEEING BREASTS. THE PROBLEM WAS BREASTFEEDING. THE PARENTS DID NOT WANNA HAVE THEIR KIDS SEE BREASTFEEDING. it had nothing to do with kids seeing breasts. It was kids seeing breast feeding. Jeeze i wish people would read the post

Quoting angi07:

I wouldn't have been happy with it sounds like you were looking for a fight. Clearly you didn't do that good a job hiding it if many parents complained.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathercm26
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM
One parent noticed i was bfing, passed it around to a couple others and their was a complaint made. The kids didnt see...the teacher didnt even know about it til the next day and i was completely covered by my clothes and my baby (not a cover or blanket). I wasnt trying to make a statement, i was just feeding the baby. DISCRETELY!. THE PROBLEM WAS NOT KIDS SEEING BREASTS. THE PROBLEM WAS BREASTFEEDING. THE PARENTS DID NOT WANNA HAVE THEIR KIDS SEE BREASTFEEDING. it had nothing to do with kids seeing breasts. It was kids seeing breast feeding. Jeeze i wish people would read the post

Quoting angi07:

I wouldn't have been happy with it sounds like you were looking for a fight. Clearly you didn't do that good a job hiding it if many parents complained.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathercm26
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Quoting angi07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyheamma
by on Mar. 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Quoting Gingerella:

I am offended by FF. My kids shouldn't be exposed to that and think that babies are fed with formula instead of human milk from a breast. I would ask that all those who ff their children do it in bathroom stalls as well or with a cover. ;)

I'm sure that you're being at least a little sarcastic, but I would add that if your children ever saw me formula feeding my 22 month old, they'd probably be pretty curious. She's fed exclusively through a feeding tube directly into her stomach using high calorie, nutrient dense formula. My hope is that they'd be bold enough in their curiosity to ask whatever they want. We welcome questions from the curious.

On a slightly unrelated note, we frequently are offered a private place to feed Lily because adults notice it is different and are uncomfortable or think we might be. We always decline, and if they insist, we decline again. Eating is a social experience, everyone does it, and no one should have to be ashamed of how they must eat.

So many miracles for such a little girl! Follow Lily's story on her blog at princesslilysmiracle.blogspot.com or on Facebook at facebook.com/princesslilysmiracle.

Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Exactly! :)

Quoting tyheamma:

Quoting Gingerella:

I am offended by FF. My kids shouldn't be exposed to that and think that babies are fed with formula instead of human milk from a breast. I would ask that all those who ff their children do it in bathroom stalls as well or with a cover. ;)

I'm sure that you're being at least a little sarcastic, but I would add that if your children ever saw me formula feeding my 22 month old, they'd probably be pretty curious. She's fed exclusively through a feeding tube directly into her stomach using high calorie, nutrient dense formula. My hope is that they'd be bold enough in their curiosity to ask whatever they want. We welcome questions from the curious.

On a slightly unrelated note, we frequently are offered a private place to feed Lily because adults notice it is different and are uncomfortable or think we might be. We always decline, and if they insist, we decline again. Eating is a social experience, everyone does it, and no one should have to be ashamed of how they must eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine35272
by on Mar. 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM

All the drama is really stupid.... I live in Florida it is above 80 degrees and at least 70% humidity most of the time... Cover up to BF... I'm telling you now...NO WAY.... If you don't think that it's appropriate, then that is your opinion.. She is going to BF her child in public... You said your peace no leave her alone... Don't argue with people just because they don't agree with you...

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you ever hear back from the principal after sending him more info?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN