Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

asked not to breastfeed baby at sons school

Posted by   + Show Post
Their was a parents activity day at ss6 school yesterday. Today his teacher said that my breastfeeding botherd some other parents and they went out of their way to complain about it

Apparently their was sone concern about exposing children to it.

WTF!

I did tell her that there are laws protecting nursing in public and uf my baby was hungry i would feed her.

She suggested that i use a cover up or blanket. I said, no im not doing that. I lied and said i signed a pledge to nurse with out cover up and on demand where ever baby got hungary.

Them she offered to find a private room for me to nurse if needed. I said no i will nurse where ever i am ehen baby gets hungry.

A LITTLE REDUNDANT RIGHT?

I SAID NO!!

although i didnt yell at her i respectfully declined and mentioned that at one time parents objected to the negro kid being allowed in the class room and the gay kid too.

Someone posted the law verbatum the other day....
please email it to me as i only have a mobile phone so i cant copy and paste(that i know of)
someone please message me if you can find the post with the law in it. I want to email the principle and school board tonight...im on a mission!

UPDATED....NOBODY SAW MY BOOB. I HAD A NURSING CAMMI AND A SWEATSHIRT SO NOBODY EVEN SAW MY TUMMY. THE TEACHER DIDNT EVEN NOTICE AND I BF AT LEAST 3 TIMES DURING THE TIME I WAS THERE. KIDS SHOULD SEE MOTHERS BREASTFEEDING IMO, BUT NONE OF THEM DID OR THE KIDDOS WOULD HAVE PROBABLY SAID SOMETHING LIKE "WHAT R U DOING?".

REGAURDLESS. I EMAILED THE PRINCIPLE AND HE SAID THAT I AM NOT ALLOWED TO BF AT THE SCHOOL UNLESS I AM IN A PRIVATE ROOM OR USE A COVER. I AM EMAILING HIM BACK WITH SOME ATTACHMENTS....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Replies (41-50):
motherslove82
by Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
When my cat had kittens, we threw a blanket over her when she nursed. Wouldn't want to expose the children. *eyeroll*. I would use a cover, or at least pull my shirt down to cover, but that's you decision and not hers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liz132
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Bump to find this later

cherkahn1
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:34 AM
12 moms liked this

I am sadly not surprised to hear some of you sat the OP should cover up.

First off, how do you know her boob was entirely exposed? I would not use a cover, and yet no one sees more of my breast than they might if I were wearing a low cut shirt, maybe even less considering how many young women dress these days. 

And can someone explain what is so bad about a child seeing a breast? And please don't jusr say beacause it is inappropriate- I want to try and actually understand why you feel that way. Because to me a breast exposed for breast feeding is no more inappropriate than a foot exposed in a flip flop. 

ashleigheg
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM
5 moms liked this
Oh my gosh! You nursed in a SCHOOL? Around CHILDREN? OH THE HORROR!

*sarcasm off now, lol*

Good for you! I hope things go the way you want, and at the very least, there will be opportunity for a nurse in if the principal doesn't respond well to your email. Then what will other parents do? *GASP* Explain what breasts are really for? Oh my!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I have not read all replies BUT

Wisconsin

Public Breastfeeding Law

SECTION 1. 253.16 of the statutes is created to read:
253.16 Right to breast−feed. A mother may breast−feed her child in any public or private location where the mother and child are otherwise authorized to be. In such a location, no person may prohibit a mother from breast−feeding her child, direct a mother to move to a different location to breast−feed her child, direct a mother to cover her child or breast while breast−feeding, or otherwise restrict a mother from breast−feeding her child as provided in this section.

944.17  Sexual gratification.
(1) In this section, “in public” means in a place where or in a manner such that the person knows or has reason to know that his or her conduct is observable by or in the presence of persons other than the person with whom he or she is having sexual gratification.
(2) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor: …
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a mother’s breast-feeding of her child.

History: 1977 c. 173; 1983 a. 17; 1987 a. 332; 1995 a. 165.

944.20  Lewd and lascivious behavior.
(1) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor:

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a mother’s breast-feeding of her child.
History: 1977 c. 173; 1983 a. 17; 1989 a. 31; 1995 a. 165.

948.10  Exposing genitals or pubic area.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply under any of the following circumstances:
(a) The child is the defendant’s spouse.
(b) A mother’s breast-feeding of her child.

THIS all means you do not have to cover either because its not seen as exposing genitals, its not seen a indecent.  YOu need to print a copy of the law and make sure that the office has a copy, when someone has a complaint a copy should be handed to them.  YOU can carry a smaller version in your diaper bag/purse to show others

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM

You dont have to have your full breast out to breastfeed, sure some women do but MOST do not.  I never use a cover but yet no one can see a thing..they can tell baby is facing my breast but babies head and my shirt covers everything

Quoting Melissa823:

Quoting mommy2b39465:

....I know that law states that you can breastfeed in public without a cover. However, I kinda think it's just polite to either cover up or go into a private room. 

AMEN! Agreed. I nursed both of my girls for a year and while I feel I should be able to breast feed anywhere I want, I don't feel it's appropriate to show my breast in public. I just don't think a school classroom with kids is the place to exercise that right so aggressively. While it's natural and great - some kids don't understand it, and it's not my job to teach them that lesson.

Melissa823
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM

That's impressive! I just never got the hang of that!! Haha, My kid would always yank on my shirt or something was inevtiably hanging out. For those talented like you, I'm a fan!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

You dont have to have your full breast out to breastfeed, sure some women do but MOST do not.  I never use a cover but yet no one can see a thing..they can tell baby is facing my breast but babies head and my shirt covers everything

Quoting Melissa823:

Quoting mommy2b39465:

....I know that law states that you can breastfeed in public without a cover. However, I kinda think it's just polite to either cover up or go into a private room. 

AMEN! Agreed. I nursed both of my girls for a year and while I feel I should be able to breast feed anywhere I want, I don't feel it's appropriate to show my breast in public. I just don't think a school classroom with kids is the place to exercise that right so aggressively. While it's natural and great - some kids don't understand it, and it's not my job to teach them that lesson.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:26 AM
3 moms liked this

If yu don't tolerate that from the start, teaching nursing manners, redirecting hands, wearing a nursing necklace it is generally pretty easy.  Its never to early to teach nursing manners and redirection.

Quoting Melissa823:

That's impressive! I just never got the hang of that!! Haha, My kid would always yank on my shirt or something was inevtiably hanging out. For those talented like you, I'm a fan!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting Melissa823:

Quoting mommy2b39465:

Elyssa414
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:30 AM
5 moms liked this
That makes me so sad! When we were touring my middle son's school, I was pregnant, and the head mistress was like, "and don't you worry, if you plan to breast feed- we have tons of moms that nurse during our PA meetings and wherever they are on campus! We love nursing moms here!" that was one thing that really helped sell me on the school! They welcome the opportunity for the kids in this private gifted school to ask questions about anything and everything, because all parts of life are a learning experience!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MollyJmommy
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Woot for wisconsin we have the right to nurse wherever mommy and baby are allowed :) don't take their crap!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)