Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

asked not to breastfeed baby at sons school

Posted by   + Show Post
Their was a parents activity day at ss6 school yesterday. Today his teacher said that my breastfeeding botherd some other parents and they went out of their way to complain about it

Apparently their was sone concern about exposing children to it.

WTF!

I did tell her that there are laws protecting nursing in public and uf my baby was hungry i would feed her.

She suggested that i use a cover up or blanket. I said, no im not doing that. I lied and said i signed a pledge to nurse with out cover up and on demand where ever baby got hungary.

Them she offered to find a private room for me to nurse if needed. I said no i will nurse where ever i am ehen baby gets hungry.

A LITTLE REDUNDANT RIGHT?

I SAID NO!!

although i didnt yell at her i respectfully declined and mentioned that at one time parents objected to the negro kid being allowed in the class room and the gay kid too.

Someone posted the law verbatum the other day....
please email it to me as i only have a mobile phone so i cant copy and paste(that i know of)
someone please message me if you can find the post with the law in it. I want to email the principle and school board tonight...im on a mission!

UPDATED....NOBODY SAW MY BOOB. I HAD A NURSING CAMMI AND A SWEATSHIRT SO NOBODY EVEN SAW MY TUMMY. THE TEACHER DIDNT EVEN NOTICE AND I BF AT LEAST 3 TIMES DURING THE TIME I WAS THERE. KIDS SHOULD SEE MOTHERS BREASTFEEDING IMO, BUT NONE OF THEM DID OR THE KIDDOS WOULD HAVE PROBABLY SAID SOMETHING LIKE "WHAT R U DOING?".

REGAURDLESS. I EMAILED THE PRINCIPLE AND HE SAID THAT I AM NOT ALLOWED TO BF AT THE SCHOOL UNLESS I AM IN A PRIVATE ROOM OR USE A COVER. I AM EMAILING HIM BACK WITH SOME ATTACHMENTS....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Replies (51-60):
NoahsCoolMama
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Melissa823:

Quoting mommy2b39465:

....I know that law states that you can breastfeed in public without a cover. However, I kinda think it's just polite to either cover up or go into a private room. 

AMEN! Agreed. I nursed both of my girls for a year and while I feel I should be able to breast feed anywhere I want, I don't feel it's appropriate to show my breast in public. I just don't think a school classroom with kids is the place to exercise that right so aggressively. While it's natural and great - some kids don't understand it, and it's not my job to teach them that lesson.

Agreed. I am going to be devil's advocate here and ask, "Why would you want to expose your breast anyway?" I know that you feel you should be able to breastfeed anywhere, any way that you see fit, but we teach our young girls that those are their private parts and no one is allowed to see our touch them that will make them feel uncomfortable. So, why would you deliberately expose your breast to Kindergartners? Isn't that kind of confusing? I, personally, would have used a cover, just to be respectful of others around me.

mjande4
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

This!  Why would you want to alienate the other parents at the school by simply being rude.  The teacher went out of her way to offer several alternatives.  You are just being difficult.  On a side note, if you are going to contact the princiPAL, you might want to have someone proof read your note otherwise you most certainly will not be taken seriously.  Your grammar, spelling, and sentence structure are horrendous.

Quoting mommy2b39465:

....I know that law states that you can breastfeed in public without a cover. However, I kinda think it's just polite to either cover up or go into a private room. 

TattoodMommy19
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
This. Its the same here in TX, and once I had an idiot harrass me at the mall and I called the police. The man got fired and fined for unlawful harrassment. They can't make u cover or go to another room and obviously the parents who were offended are too chicken to actually confront you.

Quoting mollysmom328:

Not only can you breastfeed wherever you are allowed to be in WI but anybody who harrasess you can be fined.  Plus, a school is a government building (assuming it's public) which is covered by federal law.

Quoting heathercm26:

Wisconsin

Quoting maggiemom2000:

What state are you in?

http://breastfeedinglaw.com/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Not using a cover doesn't mean breast was exposed.

Quoting NoahsCoolMama:

Quoting Melissa823:

Quoting mommy2b39465:

AMEN! Agreed. I nursed both of my girls for a year and while I feel I should be able to breast feed anywhere I want, I don't feel it's appropriate to show my breast in public. I just don't think a school classroom with kids is the place to exercise that right so aggressively. While it's natural and great - some kids don't understand it, and it's not my job to teach them that lesson.

Agreed. I am going to be devil's advocate here and ask, "Why would you want to expose your breast anyway?" I know that you feel you should be able to breastfeed anywhere, any way that you see fit, but we teach our young girls that those are their private parts and no one is allowed to see our touch them that will make them feel uncomfortable. So, why would you deliberately expose your breast to Kindergartners? Isn't that kind of confusing? I, personally, would have used a cover, just to be respectful of others around me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:39 PM
4 moms liked this
I seriously will never understand someone who says bf is fine but cover that stuff up. Good for you for sticking to your guns. It will not harm one child to see you nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gingerella
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:40 PM
14 moms liked this

I am offended by FF. My kids shouldn't be exposed to that and think that babies are fed with formula instead of human milk from a breast. I would ask that all those who ff their children do it in bathroom stalls as well or with a cover. ;)

Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Good for you! Also mention that you might talk to the superintendent if the principal refuses to allow you to nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skittlebeans88
by Member on Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haleykj
by on Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:48 PM
That's awesome! Too bad op school isn't like that! Breastfeeding Is a stupid place to direct your anger or disgust if u ask me. People make enough of a fuss to actually ASK a mom to cover up but what would they have said if she showed up in a mini skirt or with her boobs on display? I mean if u do that, what r u teaching kids about breasts? and if u choose to *gasp* feed your baby what does THAT teach? Personally, I don't make a fuss abot either But if I was going to be offended enough to say something to someone, it would be the breasts used to sell alcohol or for sporting events or something. Bt whatever. It's fine if u want to cover. That's note argument. If u feel t's better fine. Just leave the woman ALONE! Find somethig better to do with your miserable life.

Quoting Elyssa414:

That makes me so sad! When we were touring my middle son's school, I was pregnant, and the head mistress was like, "and don't you worry, if you plan to breast feed- we have tons of moms that nurse during our PA meetings and wherever they are on campus! We love nursing moms here!" that was one thing that really helped sell me on the school! They welcome the opportunity for the kids in this private gifted school to ask questions about anything and everything, because all parts of life are a learning experience!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Mar. 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm sure those kids see more boob on tv or at the pool than they could've seen while you were nursing. I'd be pissed, too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)