Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ear infection in my 3 month old!! :( :( :(

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 2:52 AM
  • 34 Replies

My 2 year old is teething, she is cutting all 4 back molars, and I took her to playtown and she brought home a cold.  that was 2 weeks ago.  My 3 month old just started teething a couple weeks ago and she caught the cold. 

She's had this high fever (100.9 was the highest, yesterday) and scary cough for 3 days so I took her to the doctor, whom found that she has an ear infection!  So he immediately prescribed antibiotics and I asked him what his opinion is on the fact that studies show antibiotics clear up an ear infection only three days sooner than no antibiotics and he told me (stuttering and red as he did so lol) that is a valid point and we will wait until Friday if I choose. Also, I told him she is breastfed and he just blinked like why are you tellin me this?

My question to you BFn mamas is; has your baby gotten an ear infection, and if so did you do antibiotics or no?  Why or why not and did it work as you had hoped? 

CafeMom Tickersbig smile miniCafeMom Tickers

by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 2:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
srbeusk
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 2:53 AM
I Quit using them on my son, he had tons of ear infections.
Breastmilk in the ear is a great treatment. :)
Before I had milk I used garlic oil drops for my son and it cleared his ears up within a few days. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BelleVernonGirl
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 2:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Why would you NOT give her the antibiotics?  It's an infection.  What of her ear drum ruptures and she goes deaf?  Anyways if you lay her on a heating pad with the infected ear down on the pad it's suppose to help pull the infection out...Could try that...

heathercm26
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 2:57 AM
I got a bottle of numbing drops for my older son which he would never let me use. Doc said i could use em for dd. No ear infections so far. A warm hot water bottke to lay their head on helps. Or letting her stay sitting or leaning ( like in a car seat) helps keep pressure in ears down. Tylenol or ibuprofen helps too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DCMsMommy
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 2:58 AM
1 mom liked this

put breastmilk in ear

littlecheifsmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:00 AM

i gave ds antibiotics at 3 months old, cause of an ear infection, with a tonsil infection as well. it was needed.

i would rather give it to her, then for her to go deaf.  hope she feels better soon.

heathercm26
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:00 AM
The inner ear takes forever to clear up infection with antibiotics. It takes 3-4 days. Ear infections will usually clear up in 3 to 4 days anyway. Antibiotics dont improve outcomes apparently.

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

Why would you NOT give her the antibiotics?  It's an infection.  What of her ear drum ruptures and she goes deaf?  Anyways if you lay her on a heating pad with the infected ear down on the pad it's suppose to help pull the infection out...Could try that...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BelleVernonGirl
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Quoting heathercm26:

The inner ear takes forever to clear up infection with antibiotics. It takes 3-4 days. Ear infections will usually clear up in 3 to 4 days anyway. Antibiotics dont improve outcomes apparently.

Quoting BelleVernonGirl:

I'm no Dr. but I don't know if I believe that.  I remember once I let a throat infection go and when I went to the doc he had told me that a few more days and it would have spread to my blood and I might have needed a transfusion.  Maybe he was a crackpot but maybe he was right..  So if that infection could spread then whats to say any infection couldn't spread...IDK  I know my ped use to tell me that when my girls had a temp as long as it wasn't over 101 to let it go and not give them anything to bring it down.  The fever is the bodies way of killing the infection.  Prob why the heating pad helps to..Good luck!  I hope your baby feels better soon.  Nothing worse than a sick baby.  

SavanaF.
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Yes, doc said that the fever is her body clearing the infection out, if something was wrong with her then it wouldn't clear up on it's own, which is why we go back on Friday to make sure she is okay,  ear-wise.  I asked the doctor if there was any harm in waiting, if I was absolutely sure I knew that she would never need antibiotics, I would have just said no and left.  So anyway, yeah he said acetaminophen too.  I didn't know about the heating pad and I totally forgot about the breastmilk thing, that actually cleared up her clogged tear ducts when she had those when she was brand new.  Cleared her right eye up immediately and her left eye took a couple days but cleared within two weeks.  As for why I wouldn't listen to the doctor, not always do doctors know the best treatment, proven earlier this year when my two year old had some tissue in her nose for 2 months because 4 doctors couldn't figure out why her nose was stuffed up and her breath smelled so bad, she was diagnosed with acid reflux, allergies, sinusitis and my favorite, halitosis (apparently it is a disease worth diagnosing), when really she needed something pulled out of her nose.  So I don't always listen to the first (or fourth) doc. 

Also, I've never heard of and the doc did not mention the possibility of a ruptured ear drum and she's only been sick for three days so yeah I'm not worried about that.

DeniseGibson
by on Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:22 AM
see a doctor

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 28, 2012 at 3:30 AM
My sister once had foam jammed up her nose and it caused a few weeks of mysterious, hideous breath.

I have also heard repeatedly than antibiotics don't do much to improve the speed at which ear infections clear up. Only one of my four was ever diagnosed with an ear infection. It was a surprise to me and I obediently filled the prescription for abx. Well, my dd had a reaction that caused her to have diarrhea so badly, for over 4 weeks, that they thought she had c.diff. Thankfully she didn't, but I'm telling you, with 4 kids, that was the worst thing I've ever seen. My pediatrician's office even has a sign that says they DO NOT PRESCRIBE ANTIBIOTICS for routine ear infections. I wish I had waited a few days, gone for a follow up and then seen if antibiotics were even necessary then.

Quoting SavanaF.:

Yes, doc said that the fever is her body clearing the infection out, if something was wrong with her then it wouldn't clear up on it's own, which is why we go back on Friday to make sure she is okay,  ear-wise.  I asked the doctor if there was any harm in waiting, if I was absolutely sure I knew that she would never need antibiotics, I would have just said no and left.  So anyway, yeah he said acetaminophen too.  I didn't know about the heating pad and I totally forgot about the breastmilk thing, that actually cleared up her clogged tear ducts when she had those when she was brand new.  Cleared her right eye up immediately and her left eye took a couple days but cleared within two weeks.  As for why I wouldn't listen to the doctor, not always do doctors know the best treatment, proven earlier this year when my two year old had some tissue in her nose for 2 months because 4 doctors couldn't figure out why her nose was stuffed up and her breath smelled so bad, she was diagnosed with acid reflux, allergies, sinusitis and my favorite, halitosis (apparently it is a disease worth diagnosing), when really she needed something pulled out of her nose.  So I don't always listen to the first (or fourth) doc. 

Also, I've never heard of and the doc did not mention the possibility of a ruptured ear drum and she's only been sick for three days so yeah I'm not worried about that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)