Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

This is NOT normal!!

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM
  • 43 Replies
7 moms liked this

I just pumped 13oz.  Not over the course of a day, but in one sitting.  And I don't EP; I exclusively nurse except for about a 4 hour stretch on Monday nights.

This is not normal.  This is called oversupply.  Many moms seem to think that this is a wonderful thing, but it can be a problem.  It is often accompanied by overactive letdown, which causes milk to go shooting out of your breast (picture the difference between sipping from a straw and trying to drink from a garden hose that has been turned on).  Babies whose mothers have oversupply are often fussy, they pull off the breast, have colicky cries, are gassy, and spit up a lot.  They may gain a lot of weight really quickly or they may not gain enough weight.  They may also have green and watery stools resulting in red, sore bottoms.  Mothers with oversupply are more prone to engorgement, plugged ducts, and mastitis.  Sometimes, they have painful letdowns because the force of the milk coming down is so strong.  If you are suffering from complications related to oversupply, here are some tips to help get it under control.

The normal pumping output is 1/2 to 2oz from both breasts in one sitting.  Babies are more effective at getting milk from our breasts and what we pump is not an indication of what we are making.  Plus, our bodies know the difference between being cuddled up to an actively nursing baby and being hooked up to a machine and we often don't respond as well to the machine.

If you're not pumping enough to feed your baby while you're away, you should first determine if the caregiver is overfeeding your baby.  When baby is overfed while away from baby, it is very difficult for mom to keep up.  You should be leaving a max of 1.25oz per hour that you're away from baby.  If they're drinking more than that, then they are being overfed. 

If you have determined that you're baby is not being overfed, there are many tips to get more milk.  Try to throw in an extra pumping session or two while you're at home with baby.  Pumping while nursing works with your baby triggering the letdown and often results in more milk than using the pump alone.  Looking at a picture of your little one and/or having a baby blanket or article of clothing that you can smell can help; effective letdown is very sensory.  Visualization is often very effective for helping with letdown, so try to visualize your breast filling up with milk.  You can also try things to increase your supply, such as eating oatmeal, taking fenugreek or other galactagogues.

Do not expect to pump massive quantities of milk.  We are, after all, humans whose babies only need a little bit of milk at a time.

by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Very nicely done. Thankyou!

YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM
I have the same issue. I can pump outrageous amounts. It is a problem, especially when I have a newborn. Even with block feeding I can still pump tons! Not that I do often as I have no need. I had to pump the other day for the first time in months. I pumped after feeding her and stopped after 6oz, since that was all I needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Great post!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angeleyes16
by Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I was the same way. I had such a forceful let down the milk would pour out of my breast and my baby would choke on it. I had to pump first until the let down wasn't so bad before I fed my baby.

ria7
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Maybe i hve oversupply. My daughter is 3 1/2. she often drinks 5 to 6 oz out of a bottle whenI'm at work. She sleep 9 hrs at night on average so she has to eat double the amount during  the day in order to get in her 24 oz. I have pumped twice so far today at 7:45 and 11:45. I have gotten 12 oz..so about 6 oz per pumping session.I had just nursed her ALOT at 6 am and again at 7 (she had a different breast each time) because she had been sleeping allnight so she was hungry! I am wondering if this is causing a problem with hindmilk/foremilk imbalance because she is having light lime green poops sometimes. Any ideas?If she is only having 5 feedings/day isnt it ok to have 5 oz each time?

ashleybgarcia
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM
I used to stop at 10 when both bottles were full to the rim. I feel your pain !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kdvorak
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Ok, definately me and my 4.5 month old son. How do we stop this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Block feeding is the fix for oversupply.  Pick one breast and nurse on that side only for four hours.  Then switch to the other side for four hours.  Any time your son wants to nurse, he goes on the side you're using for that block of time.  If your supply isn't regulating within a few weeks, you may have to step up to six hour blocks.  

Quoting kdvorak:

Ok, definately me and my 4.5 month old son. How do we stop this?

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
MumsTheWord571
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Great post.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Claps hands!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN