Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What a Good Latch Feels Like

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you have anything to add?

Breastfeeding: What a Good Latch Feels Like

If you're getting ready to have your first baby, it's natural to wonder not only about how breastfeeding and latching should work but also how they should feel. It's important to have an understanding of what a good latch should feel like so when the time comes for you to begin breastfeeding, you'll have a better sense of whether your baby is latching properly.

So what should a good latch feel like? First and foremost, there should be no pain or pinching. You should feel a gentle tugging at your breast as the baby sucks, but that's all.

If you're experiencing some pain in your nipples, especially during the first few days after giving birth, don't worry—it's quite common. Sore nipples are often caused by a poor latch. If you adjust and practice latch techniques, the pain often disappears in a few days.

While that's true, some women who are correctly latching their babies also experience nipple pain. Why is that? It's because some women's breasts don't adapt as well when they're suddenly nursed on 8 to 12 times in a 24-hour period. Just as each woman has a different pregnancy experience, and then a different experience with each child, each one's body responds differently to breastfeeding.

Your goal is to get to the point where all you feel is the pleasant sensation of your baby gently sucking at your breast and lovingly gazing into your eyes. Try the following suggestions if you're feeling more than a little discomfort, or if that discomfort lasts beyond the first few days:

• DO Re-Latch. If you have pain from the outset of your baby latching on, try again. Gently put your finger in the corner of your baby's mouth to break the seal between her mouth and your breast, pull her off your breast and try re-latching, ensuring that her lower lip is well below your nipple and close to the border of your areola, and that she isn't sucking in her lips, so her lips are visibly curled outward on your breast and not inward.
  • DO Give yourself a Few Days. While nipple pain is a nuisance, it can part of the learning curve, and as you and your baby learn to latch properly the pain should go away.
  • DON'T be a Martyr. If your breast/nipple pain lasts longer than a few days or if you have raw and bleeding nipples, it's OK to take a break and follow the care plan for sore nipples
  • DON'T "Prepare" your Breasts for Nursing. Some old wives' tales say to rub each nipple with a towel to toughen your breasts. All that does is cause unnecessary pain and decrease your nipple sensitivity, which is something that plays a major role in let-down.

Tips for success

• Don't be afraid to re-latch, several times if you need to, if you're having pain from the outset of nursing.
  • You and your baby will know a good latch when you have one. You'll feel a gentle, pain-free tugging and your baby will get more milk.
  • Some nipple pain in the first few days of breastfeeding can be normal. Prolonged or excruciating pain and bleeding nipples isn't normal but can be solved by following a care plan for a few days. You'll be back on track in no time.

from: http://www.bravadodesigns.com/info/the-first-six-weeks/how-latch-feels?utm_source=US+-+OLD+LIST&utm_campaign=3427051bcb-US_OLD_Good_Latch_9_2012&utm_medium=email

I LOVE MY KIDDOS!

Keegan my 2003 baby & Khloe my 2010 baby!

by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cabsmom10
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM
It took us 6 long weeks before nursing became painless lol...all worth it in the end :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daynaof3
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM
The only thing I would do is change the "some pain is normal early on" part to soreness is normal, pain is an indication things are off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM
It differs to perception also, if you have a high pain threshold then it may be not that bad, and vice versa.

Quoting Daynaof3:

The only thing I would do is change the "some pain is normal early on" part to soreness is normal, pain is an indication things are off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlueRay
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM

my dd is 8 weeks and Im still not convinced we have it down. I can see my nipple (the center) being compressed in her mouth like a nipple on a bottle. It doesnt really hurt anymore but Im not sure thats supposed to happen.

FLmommy0204
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM

nurse at the hosp with dd 1 said never to re-latch.  "it just frustrates the baby" I told the LC what she said and she couldn't believe it! 

annaica
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Well I have heard that too actually, just to try to move to change your position instead of changing baby's. IDK which method is better. Probably just a matter of preference.

Quoting FLmommy0204:

nurse at the hosp with dd 1 said never to re-latch.  "it just frustrates the baby" I told the LC what she said and she couldn't believe it! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitsun
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 2:54 PM

My youngest is about 3 weeks now, and I'm to the point of giving up. My right nipple is in constant pain, whether he's nursing or not, and i want to scream everytime he latches on. I've tried different positions (can't think of too many to try tho to be honest, and the hospital wasn't allowed to show me any). The left one is starting to do the same thing.

I didn't nurse my first son for very long bcuz I was young and what he did to the bottle nipples in NICU scared me too much. I tried, but not hard, and I think he was fully on formula by a month old.

I really want to nurse my little boy..can someone help?

annaica
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:06 PM
Have you tried side-lying? That helped me sooooo much. I will get some links :)

Quoting Kitsun:

My youngest is about 3 weeks now, and I'm to the point of giving up. My right nipple is in constant pain, whether he's nursing or not, and i want to scream everytime he latches on. I've tried different positions (can't think of too many to try tho to be honest, and the hospital wasn't allowed to show me any). The left one is starting to do the same thing.

I didn't nurse my first son for very long bcuz I was young and what he did to the bottle nipples in NICU scared me too much. I tried, but not hard, and I think he was fully on formula by a month old.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM
http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-basics/latch-resources/

Tons of links to follow up on and get really helpful info from there :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitsun
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Quoting annaica:

Have you tried side-lying? That helped me sooooo much. I will get some links :)

Quoting Kitsun:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)