Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Night Weaning and stuff...

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM
  • 6 Replies

I need to night wean.  I have been BF for going on 15mo's and it's time to night wean.  I weaned off the pump @ a year.  Now instead of me pumping at work, she get coconut milk during the day.  I don't mind BF'ing in the eve either.  Avery sleeps with me still, and I am working on transitioning her from our bed to her own bed by the start of the next school year (August 2012).  The night nursing is killing me, I am up dozens of times a night.  It's almost completely comfort nursing which is also fine with me because obviously babies need comfort and security BUT... good mommies need sleep too.  She flails, kicks, lays on me, lays on my neck, it's just hard.  My back always hurts because of how I have to sleep to accomodate JR. ...lol  I will probably have to wean completely by the end of summer (maybe even the start).  I have MS and am getting back on meds.  I put it off as long as I could to avoid the whole dilemma.  The meds that will work for me that I can take with little risk to myself just got approved by the FDA 2 years ago so there isn't enough information on them to know if they are safe for breastfeeding.  I need these meds to be healthy.  I am starting to have symptoms from my ms (dizziness, numbness, tingling, mood swings...etc..)  I need these meds to be a good mom, wife, and a healthy individual.  I don't know how to night wean, I don't know how to wean period because when I'm home I nurse on demand so it's tough to say I'll just cut back on a feeding...because I don't count my feedings.  I don't know how to transition her to her bed.  I need lots of advice and tips.  I understand each mom has to do what's best for them and I don't judge, but I will say that I am not interested in the Cry It Out Method at all.

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Start by making sure naps are in her own bed, and start the night off by nursing and putting LO in her own bed, the first week allow your LO to come to bed to nurse at wakeups but put LO back in bed after nursings.  The second week have your SO get up and deal with LO at the first wake up and nurse the rest of the wake ups always taking LO back to their own bed after nursing.  Keep pushing it back and eventually your LO wil be able to go without nursing at night.  Does this mean less wake ups...maybe, maybe not, nightweaning does not mean night SLEEPING

miamoa2002
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 11:31 AM
I am mobile so can't link but dr sears has a very good article about night weaning. I am sure it comes up if you google dr seas night wean
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM

The Dr Jay artilce is your go-to. You need her out of your bed.

ty355172
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Were weaning also! We started with weaning during the day and now i just dont let her nurse all night long until the sun comes up. Trying to get it down to just the early morning nurse... she cries and screams and all kinds of other obnoxious things ..i just rock her and sing to her...its. night 3 and its getting slightly better ....i offer a sippy with water and sometimes shell take a sip and whimper and sleep other times she screams louder:( hoping that tonight is better :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awilliams77
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Could her dad get up with her for a few nights after you transition her to her own sleeping space? If he's in the picture? My dh did this with each of our 4 children after their first bday. He jokes and says if he gets up with them after a year, he MIGHT catch up with all the times I got up that first year or so....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)