Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Went to the ER---More to add later.--ETA

Posted by   + Show Post

I had to take Charlotte into the ER today because she's not making diapers, is listless, and her cry is very weak. They told me that her bilirubin is up to 16.4 from 9.8 the other day. I've been trying to breastfeed her, but she's not very effective at nursing. I can't seem to hand express or pump, so Ive been using formula. She is refusing my finger and sometimes I have to use the breastfeeding bottles. I don't like doing this, but I need her to eat. I saw two drops of urine on two different diapers and she hasn't pooped since the other day (she is 4 days today). At the ER they asked me if I wanted to see an LC, cause I mentioned I was going to set up an appointment today and the lady came down, saw that my daughter was yellow and fed her a bottle with the wrong nipple. I told her I didn't want her to feed her from that bottle and to transfer it to my bottle at least. Then she handed me the formula and the nipples (after I told her I didn't want those nipples), and told me "we need to get her hydrated right now." I even told her I was using an sns either at the breast of via finger feedihttp://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/create_topic.php?forum_id=325&topic_id=16334056ng. I don't see how I give the supplement to her makes a difference in the sense that she's not getting any more or less any faster or slower. I also mentioned that I don't really know how to use it and she ignored that statement. I understand that it is hard for a LC to work with a listless baby, but you can at least discuss issues, ask the person to set up an appointment, or something similar. She walked into the room, talked to me for 2 minutes (I also told her that she's been refusing to feed---any type and her suck is getting weak), she took out a bottle, put the screw on lid  on (I asked her to transfer the formula to one of my bottles), and bottle feed her. I even brought my sns. She could have said something like "how about we focus on getting her hydrated. why don't you use the sns and make sure you supplement her with each feeding."Something like that. Anyways, I have more to add, but I need to feed my daughter and it's getting difficult. She's refusing everything, breast, botlle, sns, finger feeding. Sorry if I'm all over the place. Good news is that I called an IBCLC and she is coming over to help tomorrow morning.  Hopefully dd is awake by then.

The IBCLC came over today and showed me how to latch her on so that there is no pain and she is transferring milk. We also worked at expressing milk. I found it helpful to use the pump after the feed and I actually let down. I ordered a PISA from amazon and some soothies. I don't agree with everything she said, then again who agrees with everyone on everything, but she helped a lot more than the other people did. Also Charlotte is acting normally searching for the breast and is alert. Right now she is napping so I'm gonna go take one and set my alarm to feed her and express as well, so that I can know how much I'm giving her supplement wise. I'm at transitional milk, so I think that and learning the pump is why I only 8-9ml out . I will probably still need to do a little bit of formula, but less is still always good. :) So far , so good. I don't think I'm gonna be taking her back right yet. I'm going to increase her feeds and start a semi-schedule of feedings so that I don't forget if she needs to eat, although I plan on still doing "on demand" feedings with her. Oh, and we found that the cup and spoon work well, and she showed me how to use the syringe. The SNS is too intrusive for her, so that method won't work for us.

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Replies (81-84):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Thank goodness you know better!! It scares me to think a mom might take her advice, newborns don't need water at all let alone an entire ounce between feedings! That would literally kill the baby from water intoxication to be drinking an ounce every hour or two :-(

Quoting MonicaV1982:

My daughter is not getting water! I give breastmilk as much as possible and formula. I appreciate you taking the time from your day to respond, but I'm not going to hurt her more. There's a reason they say not to feed babies water or to dilute bottles.

Quoting MissJeanne:

Quoting mommy2bRN007:

I'm shocked that they sent her home!!! In my hospital we keep babies with bili levels over 13... Put them under lights and monitor the levels... And the fact that she's not well hydrated is a reason in its self to admit her... It's incredibly dangerous at that age...
Good luck! I hope it gets easier!

We did also and they were given water between feedings, Anther reason I am against sending NB's home so soon, when we started this in Fla. we had more readmits than before.  Penny wise and dollar foolish comes to mind.   Also these kids are not getting the PKU test until after going home, and some are not getting it period.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GE1
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Stick to your guns Monica, it sounds like you are on the right track. I am just dropping by to give you a hug which we all need from time to time. Good Luck!

momma1013
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM
DS had bili level of 21.7 at 6 days and we just got to 2.5 this week (8 wks old). I EBF him through it all, and it was stressful! But once he got on a schedule we did great! Sorry you haven't had more support! Hope your LO continues to improve. It just takes time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 1:31 PM

For those that have access to PubMed articles, could someone please grab the full text and post it here?

'And not a drop to drink'---why water is harmful for newborns.

Quoting larissalarie:

Thank goodness you know better!! It scares me to think a mom might take her advice, newborns don't need water at all let alone an entire ounce between feedings! That would literally kill the baby from water intoxication to be drinking an ounce every hour or two :-(

Quoting MonicaV1982:

My daughter is not getting water! I give breastmilk as much as possible and formula. I appreciate you taking the time from your day to respond, but I'm not going to hurt her more. There's a reason they say not to feed babies water or to dilute bottles.

Quoting MissJeanne:

Quoting mommy2bRN007:

I'm shocked that they sent her home!!! In my hospital we keep babies with bili levels over 13... Put them under lights and monitor the levels... And the fact that she's not well hydrated is a reason in its self to admit her... It's incredibly dangerous at that age...
Good luck! I hope it gets easier!

We did also and they were given water between feedings, Anther reason I am against sending NB's home so soon, when we started this in Fla. we had more readmits than before.  Penny wise and dollar foolish comes to mind.   Also these kids are not getting the PKU test until after going home, and some are not getting it period.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)