Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Could they make a formula out of breastmilk?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM
  • 14 Replies

If they could would you donate so they could make it for preemies and moms of multiples? or would you feel like that would be helping the other side?

And for other concerns...Say they need a script and fairly priced.

by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kitsun
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM
The other side? Hell yes I'd donate
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:34 AM
7 moms liked this
No.

You can donate your breast milk directly to moms with premies and multiples. I've done that. No need to turn it into a synthetic product.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
comf
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this
They make formula to mimic breast milk, not the other way around.

Are you talking about like making a formula from human milk for cows?

I'm confused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyuteangl88
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Almost like a powdered breastmilk? Something that wouldn't go bad for a while and can be stored easily? That would be nice if people would use it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goofygadget
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:41 AM

LOL sorry. I'm nursing the little one, typing is hard  and I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. I'm talking about making a powdered formula out of breastmilk instead of cows milk to feed to human infants. Espeacially those in need.

Quoting comf:

I'm confused.

Goofygadget
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kyuteangl88:

Almost like a powdered breastmilk? Something that wouldn't go bad for a while and can be stored easily? That would be nice if people would use it!

Exactly! I was thinking about it after I read that post where all the BM is going to go bad in shipping. Plus it's not easy for everyone to find someone to donate directly.

comf
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Ohhh I get it now! Lol

Quoting Goofygadget:

LOL sorry. I'm nursing the little one, typing is hard  and I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. I'm talking about making a powdered formula out of breastmilk instead of cows milk to feed to human infants. Espeacially those in need.

Quoting comf:

I'm confused.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:45 AM
Of I could have breathed my own kids and after was able to donate I total would have. I never produced milk with my first. And with my Ds ( born in sept) I was surprised with milk. He couldn't latch( tongue tied and even had issues latching a bottle) so I pumped as much as I could for him and by one month I was dried up I think it would be wonderful if they could create a formula made from breast milk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gsdlover
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Why make it into a formula?  Why not use it 'as is'?

zannahdeux
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Yes I would! I wondered why they haven't done it yet! I am sure they could pay people, they do it now for blood and plasma products...actually when I was looking to donate there is a company that does this...I forget the name. But they turn it into a supplement I think. I didn't donate because technically they can't pay you for your milk but they will give you 300 dollars twards a pump...but then turn around and sell their product so I didn't like that...let me see of I can find it....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN