Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Are you a F/T working mom with a 7mo old and B/F???

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:43 AM
  • 8 Replies

How much bm are you able to pump per working shift?

I used to pump like 7-8oz per 8hrs. Now my lil girl eats gerbers and work has been getting super busy so I hardly have time to pump. Sometimes I don't pump at all ;c So I only get between 2-4oz if that Im so sad. I was hoping I could continue to bf my daughter longer and I feel like Im slowly drying up...

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ConnorMom228
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:46 AM
Busy or not, you are entitled to take a break to pump. You need to let them know that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fahmom
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't work FT but its not unusual to see a drop in pump output. It is highly unlikely that you are drying up. You should ideally pump at the same times when you are at work. Not pumping is likely what has affected your supply. Keep breastfeeding when you are together. If you can pump a little extra maybe pump one side while bf before you leave for work or a few times on your days off to keep up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nessac1987
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:49 AM

Quoting ConnorMom228:

Busy or not, you are entitled to take a break to pump. You need to let them know that.

I work at a hotel and I am the only one at the front desk so even if I do take a break to pump Im constantly getting intrupted
MommyOfTheBest2
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 2:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I know how you feel but don't lose hope! I work ft and pump and bf. I also have a job where no one can cover for me so I don't always get to pump either. Sometimes I notice a slight dip in supply and I hop right to eating oatmeal, I'll pump before and after work even if she has just nursed and my supply picks back up. Sometimes it's a struggle but if you take action when you notice the dip then it's going to be fine. I eat oatmeal at work to give it a boost while I'm away. Put baby to breast often when at home. What you are going through is normal (aleast for me) and doesn't mean you are drying up! Your body is just getting a message that you don't need milk then. You can do this! Feel free to pm me if you like. My dd is 9 months and I've been working ft since 2 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motheram
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:44 PM
This has been my experience with two babies. My pump output dropped at around the 6-7 month time frame and then again at the 9-10 month one. My LO is 10 months old, and I'm only able to produce 8 oz during my 12 hour shift. This time around I have a ridiculous amount of frozen BM stored because I learned from last time. Last time I made it work though. I just threw in extra pumping sessions whenever I could. Every morning at home and every evening at home, 7 days a week I would pump. The extra sessions added up to just enough to make up for what I lacked at work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Apr. 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM

when i pumped and worked f/t I would bring home 32oz when I first went back until about 6-8 months old then it dropped to somewhere between 12-16oz. I also have a huge oversupply! Which sucks when i'm not pumping (IE now with a new baby cause baby can't handle it and chokes/spit up ALOT)

Seeing a supply regluate is normal. However you've got to find a way to pump at work!!! I was the only nurse on a unit with 28 patients overnights and i would pump 3 times in 8 hrs in the begining then 2 times in 8 hrs as the months went on..

MattsLilly
by on Apr. 7, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I am in the same boat, my supply has dropped to almost nothing. I am a full time student and working clinic hours so I don't have time to pump and only get one break which I was pumping for a while but was so imbarressed because my school has no place for me to pump so it was in a bathroom or open room where people could walk right in. I know there supposed to have places but most who breastfeed there go pump in there cars I dont have one. On top of it all my son is teething so my boobs are not putting out what he wants so he bites them none stop when he nurses cause he cant get out anything. I think my chain of breast feeding has broke he is now 9 months I thought we would at least make it to a year.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM

If your hotel is part of a national chain, they are required by federal law to accomodate you. Meaning someone has to take the front desk for your break.

I was pumping about the same amount at work by this age; it was a requirement to pump one side while nursing the other every single morning. On my days off, I did that for ALL AM feeds. WHat I got then, and solids, made the difference.

Back off solids when you're home... indeed, skip 'em altogether when you're there and just nurse. Solids are for when you're not there. It's fine... she misses nothign by not getting them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN