Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Lactation and menstration

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM
  • 10 Replies
ds is just under 2 months old...I just got my first pp period, which is odd since w/dd I didn't til a yr out. Anyway I noticed for the last few days, ive had a drop in supply (babes is hardly making count and hes usually well above and beyond the diapers count min so I'm a tad worried he's not getting enough). I'm not sure what I can do to keep my supply up durin my period. Help plz :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sreichelt26
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

totally normal - the surge in estrogen causes a dip in supply. things will go back to normal afterward :)

K8wizzo
by Kate on Apr. 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Just keep nursing and allow him to switch feed if he wants to (side a, side b, side a, side b, repeat....).  Supply will go back up on its own in a few days.

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 8, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Cal/mag supplements help during menstruation. Of course, boosting water intake will help, but mostly nursing often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Cal/mag supplements help during menstruation. Of course, boosting water intake will help, but mostly nursing often.

This!

It will rebound any way, but the cal/mag can make the decrease less.

LoveMyBugz
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM
Where can I get the supplement, and how high a dosage? Hes been extra fussy lately...he seems frustrated w/nursing the last few days... I never noticed this w/dd (the milk change) since I was only pumping due to ger prematurity and hadn't gotten a cycle back til 1+ year out.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

This!

It will rebound any way, but the cal/mag can make the decrease less.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 5:31 PM

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/herbs/natural-treatments/

Low milk supply associated with menstruation: Calcium/magnesium supplement

Some women experience a drop in milk supply from ovulation (mid-cycle) until the first day or two of the next menstrual period. A woman’s blood calcium levels gradually decrease during this period of time, and for some women the drop in blood calcium causes a drop in milk supply. For women who have this problem, calcium/magnesium supplements may be helpful. This practice has also been reported to eliminate most uterine cramping and some premenstrual discomfort such as water retention.

The recommended calcium supplement dosage is between 500 mg calcium/250 mg magnesium and 1500 mg calcium/750 mg magnesium (the higher dosage is generally more effective). Calcium dosages this high should not be taken alone, but as a calcium/magnesium (or calcium/magnesium/zinc) combination. Otherwise the calcium will not be adequately absorbed into your body. The amount of supplement depends on the composition of your diet — the more animal protein, the more calcium/magnesium needed. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, the lower dosage may work fine for you.

Start the supplement when you ovulate, and continue through the first few days of your menstrual period. If periods are irregular, then begin calcium/magnesium at 14 days after the beginning of your last menstrual cycle, or simply take the supplement every day.

mommy2lexinmark
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 5:35 PM
i had the same thing happen at 2 months...but my ds was sick so think him nursing less caused my light bleeding/spotting...but i just kept nursing and my supply came back and i havent had another period since. my son is 4 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Apr. 8, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Yes every cycle this happens go me also. Just nurse as much as you can. I like the idea of the supplements too :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zannahdeux
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM
It will come back and it should have dipped that much...I ep and I did see a drop when I got mine but prob not as much as you think. Mine was 2 1/2 once drop per day....comes back quickly too and this won't happen each time you get it just the first time.
daydreamer86
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2012 at 11:12 PM
I never noticed a dip in my supply. I guess because 2-3 days before my flo came back my ds ran a low grade fever and cried more than he ate and for a day his diaper count was low but was great after that but still really fussy. His dr was sure he had an ear infection but he didn't. So maybe he was fussy because my milk dipped but it doesn't explain the 101 fever lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)