Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

No poop can't be good??!!

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:08 AM
  • 10 Replies
My 6 1/2 month old has not pooped in 5 days!! I'm a little worried... Just wondering if it's normal so I dont sound crazy calling the doctor? Any advice... Oh and he is exclusively breast fed.. I started solids a couple weeks ago and just stopped a week ago because he wasn't quite ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Normal. DS has gone 10 days, many others in this group have gone longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Breaatfed babies can go up to a couple weeks without having a messy diaper since bm is digested so well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lorsmommy08
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Are you still ebf or have you started solids?

It's normal for an ebf baby to go a long time w/ out pooping. I think the record in this group is like 20 days.

TTC2Long
by Gina on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Between 5-12 months, ds pooped every 7-12 days. Normal. If the poops, when they happen, are soft and moist, it's fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meganr6080
by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:13 AM
1 mom liked this
My son did the same thing around that age. He'd always pooped at least once a day and then suddenly he didn't go for like 5 or 6 days The pediatrician said that bf babies can go up to 10 days without pooping.. if longer than that they'd do something for him. Try some prune juice or baby food prunes. If you don't want to introduce those types of things you can do lots of warm baths and gentle belly massage. I have to say.. the same day I called the pediatrician he finally went. Try not to get too worried!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Gina on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
P.S. it actually IS a good thing - it means his body is digesting your perfect food to it's max potential. So much so that there is just very little waste to get rid of! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Each of my 4 breastfed babies pooped once every 3-10 days. No worries, perfectly normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM
2 moms liked this
I've never had such a lovely admiration of poop! ;-)

Quoting TTC2Long:

P.S. it actually IS a good thing - it means his body is digesting your perfect food to it's max potential. So much so that there is just very little waste to get rid of! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Ok good I was getting a little worried... I guess I'll just wait it out and see the doc if he passes 10 days... I just hope he is not in pain since I know constipation hurts... But if he is absorbing everything then he should not be backed up right? Thx all for the advice!! I love your support for my first time mommy questions;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnovak
by Member on Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM

My son (5 mths) poos once a week, totally normal

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)