Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The weirdest thing happened...random picture included

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:12 AM
  • 8 Replies

Okay, so some of you might remember all of the struggles DD and I have had with breastfeeding...she was doing pretty darn good and was only being fed formula when she was away from me since I don't seem to respond to pumps for some reason.
Well, she went on a nursing strike to the extreme. Even the mere sight of a boobie by her face would send her into a screaming fit. She scratched me, pulled off the nipple shield, twisted my nipple...it was terrible. I had to give her formula. I tried to hold out hoping she would get hungry enough to breastfeed, but nope, she just cried harder. So more formula...and more...and more...until we were only night nursing when she was half asleep and didn't know what was going on. I was hand expressing so I could get something/anything out during the day...until eventually she refused to night nurse too. Then yesterday my stubborn butt decided she was going to get breastmilk somehow so I started hand expressing it into her mouth. I know, ridiculous. I probably sound like a total nutbag. Anyways, after a minute or two she seemed to really be enjoying the taste of it, I got closer so I could do it without it spilling everywhere, and then she randomly latches on. Out of the blue. Wtf?!? Is this the same baby who couldn't do any more than lick the breast and had to use a nipple shield? How did she suddenly learn to nurse? I am so confused now, lol. Our children are truly amazing. I had a pretty horrible WIC LC before I found my current awesome one and she told me there's a certain cutoff age where babies can't (or won't) learn to breastfeed. (?). I guess my 5 month old is the exception, then. Hopefully I can get us back on track now...maybe I'll be able to get rid of this damn shield now! Wish us luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:18 AM
What an interesting turn! Yes, our children amaze us, precisely when we least expect it. Maybe she was so stubborn she had to prove that horrible WIC LC wrong. ;-) I give you a ton of credit for your patience and determination to keep trying here and there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sngonzalez1031
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:26 AM
I still don't get it, lol. I've also discovered I have to hover over her with her in my lap for it to work. She doesn't like any other position. So weird! And thank you, it's been hell for us, but I'm selfish and I miss my bonding time, idc if she likes her bottles better than me, lol.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

What an interesting turn! Yes, our children amaze us, precisely when we least expect it. Maybe she was so stubborn she had to prove that horrible WIC LC wrong. ;-) I give you a ton of credit for your patience and determination to keep trying here and there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babesprincess03
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:35 AM
As weird as it is congrats!! Lol I hope things get even better from here on out
sngonzalez1031
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 12:38 AM
I do too, I would be beyond relieved to continue breastfeeding.

Quoting babesprincess03:

As weird as it is congrats!! Lol I hope things get even better from here on out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Apr. 12, 2012 at 1:16 AM
1 mom liked this
not selfish at all! bonding is to benefit both of you. Kids are interesting sometimes in their preferances and we have to learn to meet them in the middle sometimes. I remember mine had their prefered positions and my nephew went through a stage where he would refuse to nurse unless my sister laid on her side. You are a wonderful determined mama!

Quoting sngonzalez1031:

I still don't get it, lol. I've also discovered I have to hover over her with her in my lap for it to work. She doesn't like any other position. So weird! And thank you, it's been hell for us, but I'm selfish and I miss my bonding time, idc if she likes her bottles better than me, lol.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fahmom
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Seems to me she just had a bottle preference. Why work for the boob when the bottle requires less effort. I hope you are able to continue on breastfeeding. Truly an inspiring story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sngonzalez1031
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 4:07 AM
Thanks, lol :)

Quoting Precious333:

not selfish at all! bonding is to benefit both of you. Kids are interesting sometimes in their preferances and we have to learn to meet them in the middle sometimes. I remember mine had their prefered positions and my nephew went through a stage where he would refuse to nurse unless my sister laid on her side. You are a wonderful determined mama!

Quoting sngonzalez1031:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sngonzalez1031
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 4:08 AM
Thanks, I hope we are too :)

Quoting fahmom:

Seems to me she just had a bottle preference. Why work for the boob when the bottle requires less effort. I hope you are able to continue on breastfeeding. Truly an inspiring story.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)