Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need To Increase Supply HELP!!! **Update**

Posted by   + Show Post
Ladies I need your expert advice!!

I am not pumping enough for my daughter to eat while I am at work. My DH has been having to use milk I froze before I came back to work for the past week or so. I am almost out of frozen milk!! I really do not want to have to give her formula so I need to increase my supply ASAP!!!

Here is what we do already.

Madison drinks 4 oz every 3.5-4 hours. (this complies with the 1-1.25 ounces per hour I am gone)

I pump about every 2.5-3 hours at work.

I drink between 48-64 ounces of water a day. (I don't really know if I can make myself drink more!)

I tried Fenugreek but it didn't sit well with Madison she was very fussy and gassy when I was trying it.

So what can I try or do to increase my supply? My only idea is to start waking up every 2 hours at night to pump but i know when she first came home and i was feeding her every 2 hours that hurt my supply because i wasn't sleeping!!!

Help please ladies!!
BTW Madison is 4 months old today.

**Update**
So I found out last night after talking to DH that between himself and my MIL who watches DD during the day in week days I work they have been throwing away anywhere between 2-4 ounces of milk!! Apparently her first feeding with a bottle she usually will only drink 3 ounces tops. So that's 2 ounces every morning thrown away!!! I can't believe I didn't know or realize this!! So we talked and we are going to start only giving her 3 ounce bottles at a time. If she still seems hungry they will make one more ounce. This should help me keep up a lot better!! I also ordered Mothers Milk Tea this morning to still increase my supply I would like to get my freezer stash back a little bit!!

Thank you all so much for all the great advice and encouragement!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Replies (31-40):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Pump output normally declines. Which is why MORE sessions is important. 7-10 ounces at work is EXCELLENT and pretyt close to all you need.

If baby has been putting on an average of 4 ounces per week you're doing fine on the gain situation... many docs want too much gain.

MrsErdos2011
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Oat meal is your friend.

mommaslilmen
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:46 PM

oatmeal (all i ate was instant), fenugreek, increase water, and mothers milk tea always helped me

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Poed0216
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Someone from this group suggested this to me as well and it did make a difference in my output. Not huge amounts but I did see a small increase. Also , oats. I started eating steel cut oats twice a day combined with taking fenugreek and as of this week I am starting to finally pump more than .25 of an ounce!
Drink your water while pumping too, I notice that helps me. Good luck!

Quoting pinkiebabii:

Have you tried pumping from one boob while you feed her from the other?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ANSnyder
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM
No I only get 15 minutes and I have to clean the parts of the pump during that time too. But honestly when I nurse she only stays on for 5-10 minutes each side and then she is done.

Quoting zannahdeux:

Quoting ANSnyder:

Can you pump longer on your breaks? This might be why...boibs think baby doesn't need as much milk....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom328
by Stephanie on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Don't bother cleaning them during that time.  Just put it all away.  If you only have 1 set then a simple rinse will do.

Quoting ANSnyder:

No I only get 15 minutes and I have to clean the parts of the pump during that time too. But honestly when I nurse she only stays on for 5-10 minutes each side and then she is done.

Quoting zannahdeux:

Quoting ANSnyder:

Can you pump longer on your breaks? This might be why...boibs think baby doesn't need as much milk....

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Bumping my reply again..it explains why she needs to eat more than every four hours

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

As far as weight gain they have found that babies will digest what they can and pass the rest as waste so feeding large amount less often may be backfiring. Take them down to three ounce bottles ever 2.5-3 hours. I worked 8-10hours and my guy took 3 3oz bottles while i worked. At 10the months he backed off to only two bottles of 3oz each.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tlc_sahm_kylynn
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM

eat more red meats. it works for me.. my DD is 15 months old, so I am continuously trying to find tricks to increase... red meats are instant for me. Fenugreek is to funky for me, hated it. Oatmeal, etc. Your body will make w.e you take out. Don't worry if you don't "fill up" first or we. there is still stuff in there, and quite a bit. my DD can get about an ounce on each side every time she nurses... which a good amount. check her diapers it should be fine. 

zannahdeux
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Quoting mollysmom328:

Yes don't clean them...just put the parts in a Baggie and put them in the fridge too! Bm has antibacterial properties and saw one of the nurses in the nicu do this when she pumped!
blg5484
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM

if its instant it will not work as well if at all i eat the ols fashion quaker and they work for me also snack on oatmeal cookies home made or from the store or lactation cookies

Quoting ANSnyder:

I forgot to add this I eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast

Quoting larissalarie:

Oh eating oatmeal is also supposed to be good for supply.

Jesus Christ, Albert Einstein and Michael Jordan were all breastfed to

age three and beyond. The day YOU have SIX NBA Championship rings and

millions of dollars in endorsement contracts, a Noble Prize in Physics

AND the ability to walk on water, you may make comments.
breastfeeding

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)