Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They called cps!

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM
  • 95 Replies

So, I was talking to the pediatrician today because I thought we may have thrush (turns out we we don't), and I also mentioned that I have herpes type 1 (the kind normally found on the mouth). Anyways, I was told bring her in, but my car is broken and a cab is expensive to get 25 miles. She told me to take her to the nearest ER to get checked. I did and it turned out to be an abrasion from sucking on my finger. And the ER nurse practitioner said not to worry because even if it was HSV-1, 90% of people get it by the time they're adults. She also mentioned that they wouldn't be able to treat HSV-1 in her anyways. I also found that she has gained 2oz since wed. Way more than the 1/2 oz that was expected. She's 11 days old!  Anyways, after I got out of the office, I called my ped to tell her that we were seen and was told to just keep her weight check on wednesday. Anyways, after my ride picked me up and we were hanging out at my house the doorbell rang. Thinking it was UPS with my flanges for my breastpump, I hurried to the door. When I answered there were 3 people standing there from CPS. She's gained 6 ounces since she was 3 days old, and she's on her way. She's not up to BW yet, and probably won't be this week, but she's gaining! I can't believe people won't just work with me! Not a very good way to develop trust with a parent! It's not like I'm not taking care of my child or beating her! Seriously! I've done nothing but try to make sure she is okay.

Update:

I took her in yesterday and they were satisfied with her progress. She gained 4 oz, and I'm not sure what in length. The ped that I saw this time said that she's doing really well, and to just keep waking her to feed until she reaches birth weight and we see that she is gaining consistently. She said that after that I can start letting her sleep. She's pretty good at waking anyways, and she nurses constantly when awake as well. I am surprised she is gaining with her cold. I figured the gain would be less. It's not a bad cold, just some nasal congestion. The only thing the ped noticed was a diaper rash starting. I think it may be from the disposables I use every once in a while. I also got referred for "new parent support services" and a public health nurse. I said yes to the people coming, because I know that saying "no" looks bad. I told both of them on the phone that I don't know what they can teach me that I don't already know, or that I can't find the information on my own. Now I gotta clean my house really well. My friend is staying with me and said she'd clean the microwave. My house isn't dirty, but it is a bit cluttered.

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Thats weird...idk y they called..missing something?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Oh..congrats on weight..whot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
geronima2003
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont understand why they're there or who called them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Wait. Did they call for your cold sores or weight or not running right into the drs office (even though you went to the ER)?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I'm missing the same thing, too! They don't tell you! It's either because I mentioned I didn't have money for a cab (I didn't make it clear that I was going to try to get a ride before spending hundreds of dollars), and because she stayed stagnant on her weight, though it looks like that is turning around.The nurse wanted to weigh and measure her and find out if she was gaining weight! I'm stressing out now! They make a big deal about breastfeeding, then when you have issues they half-ass the help, and when it doesn't work right away they contact CPS! Seriously?!

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Thats weird...idk y they called..missing something?

nzumbrun
by Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Wow!! Did the Dr. Or er call?? My dd got the same thing from her dad accidently of course. She was on a liquid diet for a while. My Dr was fine with it. The wic lady wasn't though but I saved my butt by going in to the Dr and getting her looked at. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck
MonicaV1982
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM

They don't say who called, and I'm not really sure why they were here. Either A) she isn't gaining what they expect, or B) I mentioned I couldn't get a cab (25 miles) to San Juan Capistrano. The person did let it slip that was in the record. I'm just as confused as you ladies.

Quoting geronima2003:

I dont understand why they're there or who called them

MonicaV1982
by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I don't know!

Quoting nzumbrun:

Wow!! Did the Dr. Or er call?? My dd got the same thing from her dad accidently of course. She was on a liquid diet for a while. My Dr was fine with it. The wic lady wasn't though but I saved my butt by going in to the Dr and getting her looked at. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
That's ridiculous!!! Stand your ground mama, you're doing a great job!
(Yay for weight gain!!!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM
11 moms liked this
I would be switching her pedi ASAP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)