Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

So, I was talking to the pediatrician today because I thought we may have thrush (turns out we we don't), and I also mentioned that I have herpes type 1 (the kind normally found on the mouth). Anyways, I was told bring her in, but my car is broken and a cab is expensive to get 25 miles. She told me to take her to the nearest ER to get checked. I did and it turned out to be an abrasion from sucking on my finger. And the ER nurse practitioner said not to worry because even if it was HSV-1, 90% of people get it by the time they're adults. She also mentioned that they wouldn't be able to treat HSV-1 in her anyways. I also found that she has gained 2oz since wed. Way more than the 1/2 oz that was expected. She's 11 days old!  Anyways, after I got out of the office, I called my ped to tell her that we were seen and was told to just keep her weight check on wednesday. Anyways, after my ride picked me up and we were hanging out at my house the doorbell rang. Thinking it was UPS with my flanges for my breastpump, I hurried to the door. When I answered there were 3 people standing there from CPS. She's gained 6 ounces since she was 3 days old, and she's on her way. She's not up to BW yet, and probably won't be this week, but she's gaining! I can't believe people won't just work with me! Not a very good way to develop trust with a parent! It's not like I'm not taking care of my child or beating her! Seriously! I've done nothing but try to make sure she is okay.

Update:

I took her in yesterday and they were satisfied with her progress. She gained 4 oz, and I'm not sure what in length. The ped that I saw this time said that she's doing really well, and to just keep waking her to feed until she reaches birth weight and we see that she is gaining consistently. She said that after that I can start letting her sleep. She's pretty good at waking anyways, and she nurses constantly when awake as well. I am surprised she is gaining with her cold. I figured the gain would be less. It's not a bad cold, just some nasal congestion. The only thing the ped noticed was a diaper rash starting. I think it may be from the disposables I use every once in a while. I also got referred for "new parent support services" and a public health nurse. I said yes to the people coming, because I know that saying "no" looks bad. I told both of them on the phone that I don't know what they can teach me that I don't already know, or that I can't find the information on my own. Now I gotta clean my house really well. My friend is staying with me and said she'd clean the microwave. My house isn't dirty, but it is a bit cluttered.

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Replies (51-60):
YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Now THAT is scary!!

Quoting cpflum08:

Are you 100% sure it was CPS? I just seen on the news the other day that people are kidnapping acting like CPS. They even make fake CPS IDs they said that if CPS comes to your door to call the police and have them make sure they are legit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by Gina on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM
I'm shocked that it would be Dr Sears' clinic to do that. Maybe the naval hospital?

Btw, I'm in Orange county, Huntington Beach. Where are you?

Quoting MonicaV1982:

She's being seen at Dr. Sears' clinic. She's being seen by another of his associate's on Wed. I'm going to have a frank conversation and explain that I'm not only am I not abusive or neglectful, but that I they want to maintain my trust, that they need to work with me before calling CPS. Except for the scheduling feeds, I've done exactly what I was asked to do!

Quoting pinkiebabii:

I would be switching her pedi ASAP.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:01 PM
I'm thinking hospital... For being difficult and possibly having to do with (was it bipolar) on a med record or something?? Demand to know what their investigation is about.

I would really hope it wasn't sears office, baby seems to be doing much better right :(

**please correct me if I'm wrong about the bipolar thing, I'm vaguely remembering it from one of your last few posts but I could be wrong**
MonicaV1982
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Pendleton

Quoting TTC2Long:

I'm shocked that it would be Dr Sears' clinic to do that. Maybe the naval hospital?

Btw, I'm in Orange county, Huntington Beach. Where are you?

Quoting MonicaV1982:

She's being seen at Dr. Sears' clinic. She's being seen by another of his associate's on Wed. I'm going to have a frank conversation and explain that I'm not only am I not abusive or neglectful, but that I they want to maintain my trust, that they need to work with me before calling CPS. Except for the scheduling feeds, I've done exactly what I was asked to do!

Quoting pinkiebabii:

I would be switching her pedi ASAP.

MonicaV1982
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:20 AM

not the hospital. will explain more when i have time.

Quoting Char07:

I'm thinking hospital... For being difficult and possibly having to do with (was it bipolar) on a med record or something?? Demand to know what their investigation is about.

I would really hope it wasn't sears office, baby seems to be doing much better right :(

**please correct me if I'm wrong about the bipolar thing, I'm vaguely remembering it from one of your last few posts but I could be wrong**

MonicaV1982
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:25 AM
5 moms liked this

yes, i feed my child!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:34 AM
2 moms liked this
Babies aren't "supposed to" double their birth weight until 6 months.

Quoting erinanne86:

My daughter was only about 5lbs at birht @ 37wks and LUCKILY her dr. is understanding and knowledgeable and knows she wont be a huge baby...probably ever because she is very tall for her age (daddy = 6 ft 3 in). She doubled her weight like she was "supposed to" @ 3 months and has been gaining since, just not as much as some other babies. I have friends though, who BF and get harrassed constantly by their pediatricians about the children not eating enough...but they DO and i SEE IT! I see the kids scarffing down food, then nursing, runnin around, scarffing food, drinking almond milk - i know they get enough. I get that sometimes you call bc you are concerned ...and want someone to check it out, but i hate that some peds are so anti-natural methods of raising children. obviously you care if you took your daughter to the hospital...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM
((hugs))

I had a pedi diagnose my LO as ftt without telling me and refer us to county services... She was 6 mo by then though and they laughed when they saw my little babbling crawling "ftt" baby.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

not the hospital. will explain more when i have time.

Quoting Char07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:03 AM

YAY!!!!!!!!  You go, mama!!!!!!

And that sucks about the lame-ass ped!

Quoting MonicaV1982:

She has an abrasion on the roof of her mouth and I mentioned that I have HSV-1, but didn't take the acyclovir (didn't understand that you have to take it even if you haven't had a history of outbreaks). The ped was insistent that I get it looked at again. The ER doc didn't even take a culture. Said it looked like an abrasion. Only reason for telling the ped was because I thought she'd say to watch it and get it cultured when I could get in on Wed. or something. I was told by the ped directly to take her to the ER if I couldn't make it. I took a cab to the ER, that was $34 and was 5 miles away, so 25 miles would have been ridiculous! I think the compounding issue was the weight, because she (not recorded) went down to 6.8 post c-section and then started to gain after day 3. It took some time, but she is starting to feed more effectively.

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Wait. Did they call for your cold sores or weight or not running right into the drs office (even though you went to the ER)?

ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Quoting MonicaV1982:

yes, i feed my child!

Look ma, no more jaundice!  You ROCK!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)