Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

one once of formula wont hurt.

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM
  • 13 Replies
WRONG!!! (at least in my case it was) so i gave my dd an once of formula one day. that one day turned into two. that one once turned into two. and so on. it was a slippery slop. now my supply is low. (via diaper count) i was tired she was going through a growth spurt. it was a mess! i just started taking lactation herbs. will start pumping tomorrow. and i nurse on demand ..i feel so stupid for thinking an once wouldn't hurt. her state nurse will be here in a few days. (preemie) i hope her wieght is ok. i hope i can fix my HUGE mistake!! i hope i dont give up. i worked so hard for this. i cant believe i messed it up. i feel like a failure. but im going to work very hard to fix this!!! my baby deserves it!

p.s shes 5 weeks 3 days old. if my math is right. she was born march 8th @ 36weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicolle_09
Super Moon trying to hide from me behind a tree...
Yesterday at 3:14 AM
by Silver Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Your not a failure! Your baby is getting breastmilk and being fed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes supplementing is a slippery slope! But you can do this. Just knock off an ounce a day, eventually a bottle, until nothing. Just the opposite of how you got here :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampbellMama
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Don't beat yourself up about it! What's done is done, just move on from now. Nurse on demand, increase water. What herbs are you going to be taking?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:21 PM
3 moms liked this
Well put! Just about every one of us worries if we're doing good enough by our babies, and it's easy to make a quick decision when we're feeling a little vulnerable and end up in a little jam. We've seen moms who completely switched to formula for weeks that change their mind and get back to breastfeeding full time. Never underestimate the determination of a mother, right?!? :-)

Quoting ceckyl:

Yes supplementing is a slippery slope! But you can do this. Just knock off an ounce a day, eventually a bottle, until nothing. Just the opposite of how you got here :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashora1990
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM

im taking these. i found them at a local store, http://gaiaherbs.com/products/detail/42/Lactate-Support-

Ashora1990
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

thanks! im feeling better now. wish i had this group when i had my first. (the depo ruined our bfing) 

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basics/decrease-formula/

Weaning from formula supplements

AUGUST 26, 2011. Posted in: COMMON NEWBORN CONCERNS,SUPPLY BASICS

Put baby to breast often

Aim for 10 breastfeeding sessons per day. If baby is not breastfeeding well, work with your lactation consultant.

Method for weaning from supplements

Do not drop supplements suddenly – this should be a gradual process.

1. Prepare: Talk to baby’s health care provider and get his/her input. Record supplement amounts for a few days to determine how much supplement baby is getting per day. Use expressed milk for supplements if available. If you don’t have enough expressed milk, add banked milk or formula.
  2. Days 1-3: Take the current supplement amount (#1) and reduce by 1 oz (30 mL). Note that you’re not reducing 1 oz at every feeding, but 1 oz over the entire day. Monitor baby’s wet & dirty diapers. If diaper count is good, then do not exceed this amount of supplement each day – keep putting baby back to the breast if he wants to eat more.
  3. Days 4-6: Take the current supplement amount (#2) and reduce by 1 oz (30 mL). Monitor baby’s wet & dirty diapers. If diaper count is good, then do not exceed this amount of supplement each day – keep putting baby back to the breast if he wants to eat more.
  4. Days 7-9: Take the current supplement amount (#3) and reduce by 1-2 oz (30-60 mL) – try 2 oz if things are going well. Monitor baby’s wet & dirty diapers. If diaper count is good, thendo not exceed this amount of supplement each day – keep putting baby back to the breast if he wants to eat more.
  5. Continue the above method, slowly reducing the amount of supplement every 2-3 days as long as baby’s diaper count and weight gain indicate that he’s getting enough milk. Once you get to the point that the supplements are only expressed milk (no formula), then you can usually proceed at a faster pace–at this point you are making enough milk for baby and just need to transition baby to getting milk only at the breast (when not separated from mom).
  6. If baby’s weight gain or diaper count are borderline or inappropriate, then spend several more days at the same supplement level, or return to the previous supplement level and proceed at a slower pace.
  7. Monitor baby’s growth. Weigh baby at least once a week to ensure that he is gaining appropriately. Get another weight check a week after baby is completely back to the breast, to reassure yourself that things are going well. Keep in touch with baby’s health care provider throughout this process.

Pump to increase supply

• Pumping will help you to increase supply faster, plus you will be able to use your milk instead of formula for any needed supplements. Your aim in pumping is to remove more milk from the breasts and/or to empty the breasts more often. The more milk you remove, the more milk you will produce.
  • A hospital-grade double pump will save time and maximize your pumping efforts.
  • Until supply is well established, it is important to get at least eight good nursing and/or pumping sessions per 24 hours. Ten sessions per day is better.
  • If baby does not breastfeed at a feeding, pump for 20-30 minutes, or for 2-5 minutes after the last drops of milk. If baby breastfeeds, but does not soften the breast well, pump for 10-15 minutes after nursing. If baby softens the breast well, then adding pumping sessions betweenbreastfeeding sessions is most helpful.
  • Empty the breast as thoroughly as possible at each session. To ensure that the pump removes an optimum amount of milk from the breast, keep pumping for 2-5 minutes after the last drops of milk. Use breast massage prior to pumping, and massage and compressions during pumping to better empty the breasts and increase pumping output.

This method of reducing supplements was adapted from the methods used by Kathy Kuhn — Thanks, Kathy!

Go to PDF Breastfeeding Log – Weaning from supplements

Go to professional handouts to view handouts on weaning from supplements

More information on transitioning baby back to breastfeeding

@

JackelineEllis
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM
thanks for the article

VLY
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:03 AM

you don't need to pump... baby is more efficient. Just offer boobie double what you would normaly... if she normaly takes 5 feedings a day offer her double... or feed off of both sides if she normaly only takes one.

Basicaly just up the nursings and your supply will come flooding back :) I had the same issue... we started introducing solids. one jar became two, became twice a day, became three twice a day. I had a bad af cycle and my supply fell... this is what helped :)

hfs1998
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Don't beat yourself up!  You can absolutely get your supply back up.  I had a very slow start breastfeeding my current baby (youngest of five) and now he is completely 100% breastfeed.  He got bottles of formula, he was hospitalized for FTT, etc.  We got back on track.  It does take effort but is absolutely doable.  I didn't use any herbs but I used oatmeal, stayed hydrated with water and sometimes gatorade, pumped here and there (not as much as I was recommended but I do have four other kids to look after so I did the best I could), and stayed positive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)