Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dairy Free

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM
  • 29 Replies

Ok so I was doing pretty good reading labels and staying away from all dairy. Well yesterday I cheated pretty bad. Ended the day with ds projectile vomiting quiet a bit. How do yall do it. What do yall eat. I crave dairy sooo bad! Ds is only 7 weeks old. I dont know if I can hold on til hes done whenever that may be!

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:41 PM
You can use nondairy things to make dairy like tastes.
What are you craving?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silka08
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 6:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Finda new vice besides dairy :-) its expensive to get substitutes so I just get naturally dairy free foods. Yiu can still eat great w/o dairy. This is example ofmy menu:

Breakfast: half container almond or coconut milk yogurt mixed with toasted oats (i use quick oats, canola ool and honey and toast in oven), almonds and fresh cut fruit. Basically a parfait and its DELICIOUS

Mid morning snack:fruit or nuts or dairy free cereal bar, pretzels etc.

Lunch: salad topped with grilled chicken and oil based dressing. Or a sandwhich with dairy free lunch meat, mustsrd and avacado to replace creaminess of cheese.

Snack: veggies with a mustard dip; pretzels, nuts, fruit etc

Dinner: Grilled salmon, brown rice and salad. Grilled chicken, grilled veggies and dairy free rolls dipped in olive oil with italian seasoning. Pasta with tomato sauce, italian veggies and garlic bread made w/ olive oil instead butter.

Dessert: occasional treat is vegan baked goods from whole foods. Coconut milk ice cream with sprinkles, fruit or nuts. Buy pure cocoa powder, warm almind or coconut milk and use cocoa powder and sugar to taste for hot chocolate. Baked apples with toasted oats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mahamasvan
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I love cheese puffs, oreos, tomato mozz salad, pizza, and cearal. I have chocolate almond milk. Im not a huge fan of the reg or vanilla. Idk it just seem like everything I pick up to buy has dairy in it. The non dairy cheeses are kinda salty. I have found non dairy cream cheese thats not bad.

Graham still spits up after every feeding. I pull him off and burp atleast once than after hes done. Thinkin of cutting out soy which takes out even more!

preacherskid
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Okay, oreos are safe (much to my unending delight- I can demolish a package of them all by myself on a long day lol). Cheese I have just said goodbye to. Most cereals are also dairy free, especially the kid's cereals. How long have you been dairy free? Has he been vomiting or spitting the whole time? Have you looked into OAL and reflux- symptoms are similar to dairy sensitivity/allergy- I have a dairy allergic dd, a dd who had reflux until about eight or nine months, and OAL with both of them.
mahamasvan
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I love the hot chocolate idea!! Your menu sounds great! It s alot like mine. Im just a junk food bandit! I miss my cheese puffs. Oh fudge bars! Thanks for the ideas!! I will be trying them!!

Quoting silka08:

Finda new vice besides dairy :-) its expensive to get substitutes so I just get naturally dairy free foods. Yiu can still eat great w/o dairy. This is example ofmy menu:

Breakfast: half container almond or coconut milk yogurt mixed with toasted oats (i use quick oats, canola ool and honey and toast in oven), almonds and fresh cut fruit. Basically a parfait and its DELICIOUS

Mid morning snack:fruit or nuts or dairy free cereal bar, pretzels etc.

Lunch: salad topped with grilled chicken and oil based dressing. Or a sandwhich with dairy free lunch meat, mustsrd and avacado to replace creaminess of cheese.

Snack: veggies with a mustard dip; pretzels, nuts, fruit etc

Dinner: Grilled salmon, brown rice and salad. Grilled chicken, grilled veggies and dairy free rolls dipped in olive oil with italian seasoning. Pasta with tomato sauce, italian veggies and garlic bread made w/ olive oil instead butter.

Dessert: occasional treat is vegan baked goods from whole foods. Coconut milk ice cream with sprinkles, fruit or nuts. Buy pure cocoa powder, warm almind or coconut milk and use cocoa powder and sugar to taste for hot chocolate. Baked apples with toasted oats.

silka08
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Instead cheese puffs mayve fritos?

Instead fudge, decadent dark chocolate?

coconut milk tastes nothing like coconut. I prefer it over.almind for cereal.

If still spitting have you cut.soy too? They're similar proteins so its not uncommon to be allergic both.

Some babies out grow dairy issues at 3 months or 6 months so it may not be too long. Some it takes longer. Good news, it cuts a good amount of treats from diet so you may get back into shape faster :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I've been dairy free except to do a cooked milk challenge (so one time) for the last 8 months.

I eat a lot of eggs, deli meat, and crackers. It gets easier the longer you do it - now I have a list of restaurants I can safely go to & I know what to buy at the store. If there is a whole foods or trader joes near you, those are your best bets.

My meals are like this:
Breakfast: vegan donut (whole foods), eggs (I boil a dozen a week & eat 1-2 a day), or dry cereal, and some fruit
Lunch: pasta salad, deli meat sandwiches (no cheese, dairy free bread), almond butter & banana or honey sandwiches
Dinner: meat or fish and veggies - beef stew, beef roast, steak, fish, roasted chicken, etc.
Snacks: kettle popcorn, pretzels, chips & hummus or salsa, honey graham crackers, fruit, raw veggies, Vegan cookies (trader joes has some good ones), crackers & a spread (or honey)

I can't stand the taste of fake cheese so I just don't get that.

Food out is difficult - I found some pizza places that have no milk/butter in the crust & I get it without cheese, go out for sushi, or chipotle has a good allergen menu. Some local restaurants I just call the manager & ask if X, Y, or Z is dairy free & usually have 1 dish I can order there. Godairyfree.org has lists of fast food & other restaurants & their dairy free menus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awilliams77
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 6:06 AM
2 moms liked this
My dd3 went vegan last yr and some of her faves are oreos, sweet n spicy chili doritos, kettle chips (some flavors are dairy free, even bbq) fritos, thomas brand bagels, blue bonnet light margerine, daiya cheese substitute, pita chips/hummus, chips/salsa, Life cereal,Reese's Puffs,philly swirl dairy free push up bars, luigi italian ice... lots of "regular" foods I can get at the grocery store are dairy free. Kroger and Publix carry most of these items, which is good since we don't have a Trader Joe's here!
silka08
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Tonights dessert: coconut ice cream, almonds and dark choc melted (w/ drop canola oil)...yum :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goofygadget
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Do you like pop tarts?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)