Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Iron

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:21 PM
  • 10 Replies

do Bf babies need more iron cuz they wanna start him on some iron and I just wanna ask you guys to see if I really need to give him the stuff the DRs wanna give him

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:24 PM
No they don't. Normally. Idk what his or your iron levels are but breastmilk has naturally occuring iron in it and it is healthier and easier to digest. I personally would not, and did not, give my baby any vitamins. I still took my own plus ate healthy foods so I knew my dd was getting what she needed from me.
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Also, fake iron, like that found in baby cereals, can disrupt the iron absorption from your breastmilk causing bf babies to become anemic
candycrz
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 1:54 PM

So should I ask for an iron test before I even think about giving him anything cuz I do eat iron rich foods

Quoting JoyfulMommy1221:

Also, fake iron, like that found in baby cereals, can disrupt the iron absorption from your breastmilk causing bf babies to become anemic

sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:07 PM

In your situation I honestly wouldn't worry about it - whatever it is that the doctors want to give him will be synthetic and will block the absorption of the natural iron in your breastmilk. So giving it to him will make him MORE iron deficient.

My pedi suggested the vitamin D drops since dd was breastfeeding. I said "Ok! I'll look into those," and then went my merry way. Never gave them to her. You don't have to do EVERYTHING your doctor suggests - you are the parent, so you have the final say.

Angeldolphine
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Nope, just make sure you are getting enough iron yourself. Also, don't give your baby cereal. It has fortified or fake iron that interfers with the absorption of iron from the breastmilk. Your breastmilk provides all of the nutrients needed except Vit. D. Just go outside for that :)

candycrz
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

So I dont have to give him the vitiamin D drops that she wants to give him also?

Quoting Angeldolphine:

Nope, just make sure you are getting enough iron yourself. Also, don't give your baby cereal. It has fortified or fake iron that interfers with the absorption of iron from the breastmilk. Your breastmilk provides all of the nutrients needed except Vit. D. Just go outside for that :)

eema.gray
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Before we switched from pediatrics to family practice, our pedi wanted us on vit D supplements.  He had his nurse give us samples for each of the kids "to get you started".  I said thanks, walked out, and made our next set of appointments at the family practice counter on the other side of the lobby.  :-D  Mostly, pedi was a great guy, genuinely supportive of nursing babies (he told us he doesn't mess with nursing problems, that's an issue for an LC to deal with) but he really pushed the supplements hard core.  Our FP Dr said that with the amount of sun our area gets (the tourism line is 300 days a year), vit D is unnecessary.  FP also doesn't think iron is necessary for most medically normal children.  I love our FP doctor, I really do.  He leaves parenting to us and will give us information about things like supplementing but doesn't insist that it's necessary for all kids.

Quoting sreichelt26:

In your situation I honestly wouldn't worry about it - whatever it is that the doctors want to give him will be synthetic and will block the absorption of the natural iron in your breastmilk. So giving it to him will make him MORE iron deficient.

My pedi suggested the vitamin D drops since dd was breastfeeding. I said "Ok! I'll look into those," and then went my merry way. Never gave them to her. You don't have to do EVERYTHING your doctor suggests - you are the parent, so you have the final say.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Angeldolphine
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I'd give them only if you don't go outside and if you have dark skin. Otherwise, take your baby outside every day you can.

Quoting candycrz:

So I dont have to give him the vitiamin D drops that she wants to give him also?

Quoting Angeldolphine:

fahmom
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Have baby tested for an iron deficiency before ever giving supplements. Then go from there. Generally bf babies do NOT need additional iron. Iron in bm is better absorbed. The supplements are disgusting and not easily absorbed.

My son was low at 9 months (9.6) and again at 12 months (8.3). We are using floradix instead of what the Dr prescribed. I actually keep track of his iron intake and use the supplements accordingly. My DS still has days he will nurse like a newborn and eat very little solids. So sometimes its 2.5 mL twice a day sometimes once a day and sometimes not at all.

Several months of iron deficiency will have no affect on children whereas several years of iron deficiency can cause learning and developmental problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoyfulMommy1221
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Quoting candycrz:

It depends on if you want to really do the test. I think I would either say "he isn't acting anemic, what makes you think he needs iron?" Or just say like someone else said "I'll look into that." If they keep pushing you, then fine, do the test. It is a small poke. And if you bf during he'll feel better =)

No, you don't need vit d drops. Especially if your lo spends anytime outside or near a sunny window. My dd never had the drops. And I don't plan on giving them to the new baby either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)