Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this stress you out?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM
  • 41 Replies

The pumping room at my work has just recently been redone. It used to be an empty room with some chairs and a table. Saturday at work I went in to a room filled with aromtherapy and a bulletin board so that you can hang a picture of your baby and some information about pumping and breastfeeding. 

I got totally stressed out reading this sign, knowing that I couldn't pump that much in sitting, and also knowing that baby girl never drinks that much!!

Would this stress any body else out, or is it just me?

by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM
What?!? Do they list a reference for those numbers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:53 PM
That amount is crazy. Don't stress.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Kellymom:

How much milk do babies need?
Many mothers wonder how much expressed breastmilk they need to have available if they are away from baby.

In exclusively breastfed babies, milk intake increases quickly during the first few weeks of life, then stays about the same between one and six months (though it likely increases short term during growth spurts). Current breastfeeding research does not indicate that breastmilk intake changes with baby’s age or weight between one and six months. After six months, breastmilk intake will continue at this same level until — sometime after six months, depending in baby’s intake from other foods — baby’s milk intake begins to decrease gradually (see below).

The research tells us that exclusively breastfed babies take in an average of 25 oz (750 mL) per day between the ages of 1 month and 6 months. Different babies take in different amounts of milk; a typical range of milk intakes is 19-30 oz per day (570-900 mL per day).

We can use this information to estimate the average amount of milk baby will need at a feeding:

Estimate the number of times that baby nurses per day (24 hours).
Then divide 25 oz by the number of nursings.
This gives you a “ballpark” figure for the amount of expressed milk your exclusively breastfed baby will need at one feeding.
Example: If baby usually nurses around 8 times per day, you can guess that baby might need around 3 ounces per feeding when mom is away. (25/8=3.1).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Omg!!! That needs to be taken down!! That's a quick way to end breastfeeding, so many moms are going to think they're not making enough!!! So wrong!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boom_maker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM
2 moms liked this

it wouldn't stress me out but that's only because i've done research and i know that it's inaccurate. it should be removed and replaced with the kellymom guidelines.

by Beckie on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM
4 moms liked this

Take it down.  Really.

Where do you work?  

If they insist on having "guidelines", post something along the lines of...Normal pumping output is .5-2 oz session.  Baby, no matter the age or weight, only needs 1-1.25 oz of breastmilk per hour away from mom.  Per kellymom.

To me, that looks more like FF guidelines......

motheram
by Angie on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:07 PM
7 oz in a feeding?!? Yikes! That's way too much. What are they citing as a reference for their incredibally inaccurate information? My active, healthy 10.5 month old never takes more than 4 oz at once AND that's with me breaking the 1-1.25 oz/hour rule.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:08 PM
I would serious take that sign down and take to who ever put it up. It's plain wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM
2 moms liked this

this is a case where a good old fashioned dose of graffiti is in order :)

JoyfulMommy1221
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Pretty sure those are formula numbers...

Post kellymom's info instead! And encouraging words lol. I'd seriously talk to my boss about it!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)